(i can't tell you what this is about otherwise you'll skip it ^^)

Started by
3 comments, last by Vexator 17 years, 9 months ago
i know this has probably been asked a million times before and most of you will just skip this thread, but i couldn't find an answer in the forums, only dozens of questions and tutorials about quaternions in general. problem: to rotate my quaternion powered camera around the x and y axes, i create quaternions from eulerangles. if i rotate on one axis only, everything is fine, but as soon as i rotate around both axes, the camera also rotates around the z axes, which results in total chaos. why? and how to avoid this? thank you very much!
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
Advertisement
I don't know anything about quaternions, but try searching the terms 'gimbal lock' and 'six degrees of freedom.'
i did and i found dozens of search result pages, but couldn't find the solution. and i know about the advantages of quaternions, that's why i'm using them :)
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

Can you post some code? The behavior you're describing is typical of a 6DOF camera, but not an FPS-style camera. If we can see some code we can probably figure out what you're doing, and why it isn't giving you the results you're after.
thank you both, but i found the solution myself - you have to rotate the y axis around the unrotated coordinate system. works fine now :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement