VisualCExpress and Directx

Started by
17 comments, last by ridefast42 17 years, 9 months ago
How do i get the directx sdk working with visual c++(express). The express edition does not even come with the windows.h file.Do I just copy the files from the directx sdk in their corresponding directories in visual c++? Also, how do you link libraries in VCE?
Advertisement
You must first download and install the Platform SDK (PSDK) from Microsoft. That's where you'll get windows.h and all those other files. Then install the DirectX SDK and add the library and include paths to your compiler.

This should give you more detailed installation instructions for the psdk.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Thanks for such a quick reply!I noticed that the PSDK is processor specific. Does this mean that all of the programs will not be portable to other processors?I am assuming the answer is no but I want to make sure.
Quote:Original post by ridefast42
Thanks for such a quick reply!I noticed that the PSDK is processor specific. Does this mean that all of the programs will not be portable to other processors?I am assuming the answer is no but I want to make sure.

You've almost got it. It's architecture specific, so it will work on different models of x86 processors, but you'll need a different SDK for 64-bit CPUs.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Would I be able to compile for a different processor using my x86?
Now that I have the PSDK and directx sdk downloaded, do I just copy and paste the header files of the two sdk's into the vce include directory?
In order to be able to compile in win32 you should follow these steps:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

Note: In the step 2 you will install "Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK Web", but you have to be carrefull since in the step 3 the expanation will reference to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\"
Quote:Original post by ridefast42
Now that I have the PSDK and directx sdk downloaded, do I just copy and paste the header files of the two sdk's into the vce include directory?
You don't have to you can just tell VCE where to look for them (directory where they are).

Quote:Step 3: Update the Visual C++ directories in the Projects and Solutions section in the Options dialog box.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Ok, I think I will just copy and paste them in because I don't really want to change the project options everytime.
You don't necessarily have to change them every time. Once you add the directory to the list you are all set.
After the respective directories for the PSDK and DirectX are added, you only have to supply the filename of the library that you want to link to.
For example, in the project optionsunder Linker->Input I add 'd3d9.lib' to the Additional Dependencies list.
It may sound a little confusing at first (especially coming from a different environment) but you'll get the hang of it.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement