Using your computer keyboard for MIDI input.

Started by
4 comments, last by TheArtifex 17 years, 9 months ago
Long story short, I got curious recently. Are there any tools out there that allow you to use your computer's keyboard to send MIDI [back into a program like Reason]? Obviously, such a thing wouldn't come close to a proper way to write or record music, but I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in the car with a tune in my head, wishing I could flesh it out without having to wait to get to an instrument. If anyone happens to know of such a tool, I would appreciate the pointer tremendously. If not, I'll probably head over to Help Wanted and see if I can't get one made for a decent price.
Advertisement
I don't know any program that simulates a MIDI keyboard so you can use them in an arbitrary music app, but most Sequencers (a bit down) supports using the keyboard to record songs with MIDI. Maybe they are configurable to simulate a MIDI-in port in some way?
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Are you using Reason specifically? Or do you have VST's you want to mess with QWERTY style?

Do you want it to transmit MIDI data to the sequencer or do you just want to hear the output of a particular instrument?

I would suggest trying MiniHost by TobyBear. Then you just open up a VST from within the program and you get fun, responsive QWERTY controlled MIDI. You can record the output as well to wav and generate MIDI data to any host that allows the function.

There are other VST based QWERTY controller progs, but they all depend on your host program to run them. With MiniHost, it's a completely standalone program kind of like a virtual stomp-box for all the soft synths you own. Great for auditioning sounds or plunking away at ideas when you're away from your MIDI controller.

As for Reason specifically, I don't know of any external app that transmits MIDI data in any useable form. Then again, I don't use Reason much.

(PS, congrats on getting Sanctus up and going again. Let me know if you ever have time for any website design again!)

Tony
Buy that thingy that records things...what's it called? Ah yes, I remember...a memorecorder...Don't know if that's the english name too, though.

Then you can always listen back and input it.

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
Precisely that tool was made by GD.net's own H_o_p_s. You can download it for free for PC and Mac from the GD Showcase:

PC

Mac

Have fun!
Music and sound for interactive media: http://www.jervinmusic.com
Perfect.
Thanks a ton. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement