3d game engine....

Started by
9 comments, last by cwncool 17 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I know I had another thread on this subject, but this is a completely diff. question so, i'll ask here. I was thinking of getting blitz3d or darkbasic, mainly because they come there are so many resources for tutorials and other things for them, but I've decided against those engines for various reasons. What is a good (prefferably free, but doesn't have to be) 3d engine with a lot of tutorials or other resources related to it, that is somewhat easy to learn? Thanx!
Advertisement
Ogre3D is an open source 3D engine that I hear alot of praise about. Give it a look.
------------------This is so stupid!
I myself use Irrlicht, its a lot lighter than ogre.
Your asking the near impossible, simply because there are no such engines. You need to come to grips with the fact that as a game programmer you're going to have to break off from the thought of everything being easy, and understand that you're going to have to work at some things. The simplest engine you’re going to get is dark basic, and it has all the features you will need. As opposed to something like sdl, which is only a game graphics library, and doesn't have sound features.

There is another option, the irrlicht engine, but I really don't recommend it for the factor that it is hard, not only to learn, but to use. It's inner workings are to exposed, and not abstract enough. You have to do a lot just to get a window up and running. It's a great engine with advanced features, but it still is nothing for a beginner. You should focus more on game programming and loose the ego. It's not going to hurt you to use something like dark basic for a while, get the hang of game programming and then try some other engine. For one thing Irrlicht is hard engine, the tutorials are insuficiant, and it's hard to use.
Orge is terrible, I couldn't use it, and irrlicht is to poorly documented.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
In that case, what would you recommend? I actually would like to know, since I have never worked with a microwavable 3d engine before.
------------------This is so stupid!
You should focus more on game programming and loose the ego. It's not going to hurt you to use something like dark basic for a while, get the hang of game programming and then try some other engine

i don't mind using dark basic, i actually was considering it, but I just don't want to buy anything right now, i want to learn some 3d programming with an begginer-friendly, well documented engine.

Ogre is great. Lots of other people have figured out how to use it just fine. Maybe the problem isn't with ogre, hmm???

Both could be documented better, but I found both of their documentation to be sufficient enough to get the basics. Keep in mind both are still being actively developed. It's hard for the coders - the ones who really know what's going on - to find enough time outside of coding and life to write documentation. Sure it sucks, but I don't see you volunteering to help.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous PosterAs opposed to something like sdl, which is only a game graphics library, and doesn't have sound features.

Ahem...

Quote:
There is another option, the irrlicht engine, but I really don't recommend it for the factor that it is hard, not only to learn, but to use.

I agree. It's not for beginners.

Quote:It's inner workings are to exposed, and not abstract enough.

I tend to agree with this too. It seems there's a derived class for EVERYTHING.

Quote:You should focus more on game programming and loose the ego. It's not going to hurt you to use something like dark basic for a while, get the hang of game programming and then try some other engine. For one thing Irrlicht is hard engine, the tutorials are insuficiant, and it's hard to use.

While I think that the ego comment may have been a bit over-the-top, I must agree that there really aren't any "easy" 3D apis in my opinion. They all require you to learn about meshes, materials, scenegraphs, rotations, matrices, etc... I don't know enough about dark basic to recommend it, but it certainly seems good enough. Say what you will about languages like DB, but in the end it's about what you can accomplish. In my opinion a tiny, complete game written in DB is much prefered to a pile of "manly" C++ code which adds up to nothing.
are there any free engines as easy as darkbasic to learn?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement