One 3D perspective on multiple displays/devices/monitors

Started by
2 comments, last by darrenmarklines 17 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I have a unusual question, but i hope someone has an idea on how to do this as i've been trying for a while to find a solution but i can't think of anything. What I'm using: visual studio 2005 c#, directx 9 sdk (april). 4 monitors, one computer. The 4 monitors are placed side by side. What I want to do: I want to display my 3D scene across all 4 monitors as if it would be just one really big long monitor. What I have done: In order to use the 4 displays at once, in my application i'm starting 4 directx devices on 4 forms that i have placed, one on every monitor. The reason for why I did this, instead of making one long form that spans accross all 4 monitors is that if a directx form is located on two displays or more displays at once the framerate drops ALOT. However I noticed that if the form where directx renders is confined to only one monitor then the framerate is normal, and application runs normal. The problem: My problem is that, as I have 4 directx devices i have to set up a camera for each of them and the problem is that i can't make them align on the edges of the monitors because of the perspective. Theoreticaly I would need only one camera with one perspective projection and then each monitor displays a portion of the total picture. Any ideas on how to do this ? Thank you
Advertisement
Hi,

Use D3DXMatrixPerspectiveOffCenterLH to create each camera , you can specify an X-Offset in its creation.
Hello,
Thank you. I figured it out how to use it. I replaced the projection matrix with this one, and after some tweaking of numbers I realised how this function works. Thank you.

[Edited by - EthanStorm on July 22, 2006 4:44:11 PM]
Just got your Post,

sorry for not being able to get back to you, but glad you have figured it out.

I use the function for creating 'false perspective'; ie if I want to put a spinning house in the top left corner of the viewport, then I use the function to make sure the vanishing point is center to the rotating object.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement