Xbox Scripting

Started by
8 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 8 months ago
I want to create a game that is compatible with Xbox. Does anybody know how to do it? Do i need any special hardware on my computor? Thanx
Its Db, not C#...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mickliddy
I want to create a game that is compatible with Xbox. Does anybody know how to do it? Do i need any special hardware on my computor?
Thanx

You need an X-box development kit. Presumably your game company already has one, so you can just ask your boss to have access to it, or to buy some more. I expect you'll have to sign NDAs etc.

If you're in a non-commercial environment, as far as I understand, you can forget it.

Mark

There is a opensource xdk called openxdk , and to program for xbox u need C/C++ and a whole lot of knowledge on directx.
pm me and i'll tell u more.
Producing an Xbox game generally involves a significant amount of funding, meetings, contracts and expensive hardware/license purchases. For all of this money and time, you generally get development support and proper tools.

You can also use a 'homebrew' SDK such as OpenXDK to attempt to produce your game. I am told OpenXDK is missing many components from the full-sized XDK, and that development for it is difficult: There is no hardware acceleration or dynamic memory allocation, large parts of the API are completely absent, and it is difficult for a beginner to get started with. For a talented developer, it appears to be highly useful but unnecessarily difficult. In addition, to properly run the applications you produce on a stock Xbox, you will need to either modify the console (now illegal in the United States under the DMCA) or find development hardware (perhaps on eBay, but certainly very expensive and esoteric). You cannot program the Xbox in C++ using OpenXDK for now, and must use conventional C with static allocation. If you don't understand what that last sentence meant, you are not going to be able to do much.

Both methods require exceptional professional-level programming skill in C and lots of experience producing games. If you are new to games programming altogether, this is suicide.
I believe that you might be able to use the newly released XNA from microsoft, for XBOX development, but I have absolutely no idea how it works or how is the performance comparing to the original XDK, as I've never tried to make games for XBOX (and I never will :D), but it worths a look if you're interested.
Thanq peeple 4 the info. Does any1 know how i would get one of these programs, without having to go through microsoft, or how to pursuade them to give me one? Im an independant developer and kind of new to programing except calculator - TI-83PLus - and a bit of HTML and actionscript, so i know basics like strings and variables.
Its Db, not C#...
I think you might need a language like C++ or something, then again ActionScript could do it... Nah unless you have had a lot of experience with C/C++ you will be in a world of hate. But I can recommend Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days and C++ The Complete Reference, both can be found on Amazon. I suggest you continue with ActionScript, maybe master it and thn start on C++. Oh and maybe you need an API like DirectX or something. I would try the OpenXDK but I'm happy with the PC programming, which is also another thing you may consider before jumping into console development.
Given your background, you really should consider doing some PC programming before thinking about touching a console.

Console development kits aren't just sold on Amazon.com or something, you need a real company which can generate real profits before you can get your hands in one of those, and the homebrew dev software are usually more limited, less documented, and much harder to debug. Official dev kits usually include debug units, which are special consoles you can connect to a PC and do cool stuff like setting breakpoints, pausing execution, execute code directly from your PC into the console and emulate a DVD drive, so you don't need to burn lots of discs for testing. Such debugging tools are vital for getting something done.

Learn C++ and a graphics API (if you're really thinking Xbox, go DirectX first, but also give a go at OpenGL, since knowning multiple APIs expands your knowledge on how to work with GPUs).
will the xbox read assembly programming?
Its Db, not C#...
Quote:Original post by mickliddy
will the xbox read assembly programming?

Yes, you can program for the Xbox in assembly language, but nobody does, and you'll need the XDK anyway. Please re-read my post. It is not a good idea to do console development for your programming-learning project.

Microsoft will not give you an XDK, and applications built with the XDK will need to be signed in order to execute on an unmodded Xbox.

You need to learn how to write PC games properly first, and then perhaps consider moving onto game consoles. The dream of legitimately programming for the Xbox in a hobbyist capacity is unrealistic at this point, even for seasoned hobbyist developers. I cannot stress enough the difficulty of this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement