Lynn's Legacy

Started by
19 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 7 months ago
Looking good so far! Well, truthfully, I havent got to far in it.

Oh yeah, is there a way to make the game window bigger? I've tried the maximize button and the configll shortcut. The maximize did nothing and the configll opened a console window and closed it. Just a bit bigger would help, I have a 1024x768 desktop and the game window is like 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall.

Edit: Checked the config file, there is an option for fullscreen but its already flagged yes.
::fart::
Advertisement
Only had a chance to play this for a few minutes but really like it so far. The movement is particulary easy to deal with: Lynn slides around rocks instead of halting, and moving diagonally really gives you a speed boost.

I'm looking forward to playing it again, so good job!
Quote:Original post by chxfryer
Looking good so far! Well, truthfully, I havent got to far in it.

Oh yeah, is there a way to make the game window bigger? I've tried the maximize button and the configll shortcut. The maximize did nothing and the configll opened a console window and closed it. Just a bit bigger would help, I have a 1024x768 desktop and the game window is like 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall.

Edit: Checked the config file, there is an option for fullscreen but its already flagged yes.

I have a similar problem. It seems that some graphics cards don't like the low resolution very much, and won't let you go to fullscreen. It only seems to happen in FBWin programs, and I'm not entirely sure why. All attempts to fix it in my own programs have failed.
Quote:Looking good so far! Well, truthfully, I havent got to far in it.

yeah, it seems it's your gfx card which can't handle the old DOS 320x200 mode 13h resolution =/ sorry to hear about that dude...

@adamggg: thanks =)

Linux/DOS versions coming soon...

Lynn's Legacy - The game is in best tradition of ZX or NES/SNES games, and i'm really like them so much :) great thanx from St.Petersburg w-designer (Russia)
hey, thank you. glad that you enjoyed it, it was a good experience, to build a game engine from scratch like that (i didn't do the art, i am the programmer.)

I know I promised a Linux/DOS release, but One fatal aspect keeps preventing me from this; saving on Linux. I have tried zlib, I have tried lzw compression, everything seems to fail on linux.... ^^; I don't know what to do, so i sort of have just been holding my breath, hoping i can find something i didn't see last time I looked, but i have started to want to work on new projects, so my desire to do that part has sort of deteriorated a bit (but I am still trying to figure it out....)

The new version has intrinsic joystick support as well, along with a much more structured version of source (most people wouldn't even care about that ^^)

well anyways, thanks for the interest, I'm doing my best, and will continue to do so. Tell the russian dudes i want some vodka =P
Hey, like I said, the latest release now has a Linux build ^.^. I have given up on DOS, I don't think the game would perform very well under it anyways.

Some bugs were fixed, plus the game now also support joystick configuration/use, please see the readme for details.

Thanks,

-cha0s
Wow, what a great game! It's the kind of game I like, and it's a really fun adventure! I like the attention to detail, and your ability to keep the grammar correct. (one of my pet peeves is an otherwise great adventure game marred by bad grammar) ...although that archaeologist who penned his journal in Crayons really cracked me up! I'm up to Chapter 2, have bought most of the available clothes, and have purchased about half the available health. I'm having a blast! Good job, cha0s! I have a P4-1.8gHz system with WinXP, 1gb RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro and your game runs great.

If you're still up for some constructive critisism, here's a couple of ideas:

- Deactivate the screensaver while the game is playing. When you play a game with only the joystick, then the screensaver will come on. The only times the game has ever crashed for me was when the screensaver came on, and the game didn't recover every time.

- Make the savegame screen indicate that you actually saved. When I saved my game, sometimes I didn't know if it actually saved because my stats were mostly the same as when I previously saved, and the new saved game looked no different as the previous one. Maybe make an acknowledge dialog (Save here? Yes No), or play a chime sfx, or maybe save and bail out of the savegame screen like Secret of Mana did.

- I found a lot of 'grid' textures. Were those intentional? They looked like placeholder art rather than final game textures. They were the same color as surrounding textures, but they were squares rather than looking like the surrounding environment. I saw these textures a lot in 'dirt' and 'sand' areas.

- In some areas, I was able to swing my stick or mace and whack baddies on different levels. I'd be standing on 'ground level', and I could smack a baddie that was standing on an upper level.

Heh, I don't have very many ideas to suggest because it's such a fun game. Hope these ideas help, and keep up the good work! Now, let's see if I can figure out how to get past that thief... [grin]
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
Thanks for the review, Dookie. :)

Just for reference, I'm the artist/musician/writer for the project. I did all the graphics, music, sound effects (excluding the voices and one or two stock samples), maps, boss/dungeon designs, and wrote the game's manuscript.

Quote:- I found a lot of 'grid' textures. Were those intentional? They looked like placeholder art rather than final game textures. They were the same color as surrounding textures, but they were squares rather than looking like the surrounding environment. I saw these textures a lot in 'dirt' and 'sand' areas.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of what you mean? I will admit that alot of the graphics are very old work, as the game has been in development in the areas of graphics and music for several years, and I wasn't really up to redoing the graphics once again when it was released.

Thanks very much for the positive response though, I'm glad our effort and hard work is appreciated. :)

Josiah
Wow Josiah, you played quite a role in this project! Your hard work shows - the game is awesome!

Here's a collage of screenshots that shows the 'grid' textures I'm talking about:

It's hip to be square.

I don't have any dungeon images displaying the grid texture, since I can't go back into the dungeons after I've whacked the boss. But these squares are here and there, pretty much throughout the game. In the image you can see that the squares are in the dirt, in the sand, and on top of the brick column.

On a different subject, I have an idea for your 'savegame' function. Currently, if I've saved several times, then it's sometimes hard to tell which savegame is the latest one because they can look identical. However, one savegame can be much farther into the game than another, and that can lead to confusion... Sometimes I'll load up a savegame that was taken 30 minutes prior to the latest one, and then end up getting lost because I don't realize I'm not playing the newest savegame where I've progressed further in the game.

Original

A proposed change to the savegame system is to add a timestamp to the savegames. In the image below that I threw together in Paintshop Pro, it would be very easy to tell when each savegame was created. I could just load up the latest one to get back into the game, or I could load an earlier savegame if I ever wanted to replay a dungeon.

Proposal

Hope that helps, and keep up the good work! [smile]
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement