Hardware Requirement for "Nature Scene"?

Started by
9 comments, last by zedzeek 17 years, 8 months ago
I came across with an old article posted by NVidia. it can be compiled but nothing shown. IS that cause by hardware problem? Here are my PC info: Operating System : Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Processor : 1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 Drives Display : VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP [Display adapter]
Advertisement
Since it is an nvidia demo it may have something to do with your card not being an nVidia.
Quote:Original post by win_crook
Since it is an nvidia demo it may have something to do with your card not being an nVidia.

I'm unable to run ati demos on my geforce 6600, so I think that this could be the cause...
Since I wrote that demo for NVIDIA, let me answer your question:
Your video card basically lacks support for vertex and fragment (pixel) shaders which happen to be required for the demo to run.
Can you please post the content of the log file here? Thanks =-)
It has to do with the fact that your ancient integrated graphics processor doesn't support shaders, and any half-modern OpenGL extensions.
Sorry, buy something new.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Quote:Original post by JavaCoolDude
Since I wrote that demo for NVIDIA, let me answer your question:
Your video card basically lacks support for vertex and fragment (pixel) shaders which happen to be required for the demo to run.
Can you please post the content of the log file here? Thanks =-)

You wrote that, pal? Good job(from what I saw from screenshot)

Here are the log genearted:
<+>Registering data path -> Data/XML/<+>Registering data path -> Data/Sky/<+>Registering data path -> Data/Water/<+>Registering data path -> Data/Grass/<+>Registering data path -> Data/Terrain/<+>Registering data path -> Data/GUI/<+>Registering data path -> Data/<+>Creating GL Window<+>fullscreen: false, colorDepth: 32, centered: true, height: 600, width: 800, x: 0, y: 0<!>Requested caps not available:<!>accumulation: 0, doubleBuffer: true, samples: 4, stencil: 0, alpha: 0, depth: 24, color: 32, vsync: false<!>Replaced by closest match:<!>accumulation: 0, doubleBuffer: false, samples: 0, stencil: 0, alpha: 0, depth: 0, color: 0, vsync: false<+>Destroying GL Window<!>Can't Find A Suitable PixelFormat<!>Invalid texture id, Texture::loadTextureFace<!>Could not load Texture2D file.<!>Invalid texture id, Texture::loadTextureFace<!>Could not load Texture2D file.<!>Can't create font texture<!>Invalid texture id, Texture::loadTextureFace<!>Could not load Texture2D file.<+>Destroying GL Window<!>Release device context failed<!>Could not release window handle<!>Could not unregister class
as javacooldude saiz
Display : VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP [Display adapter]
is not really a graphics card (u need something recent from either ati/nvidia or a recent intel onboard)
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
as javacooldude saiz
is not really a graphics card (u need something recent from either ati/nvidia or a recent intel onboard)

minimum "NVIDIA nForce 500 Series" or "GeForce MX" will do?
Quote:Original post by gan
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
as javacooldude saiz

minimum "NVIDIA nForce 500 Series" or "GeForce MX" will do?

No, nForce's are motherboards (with integrated graphics perhaps) and the Geforce MX's don't have any pixel processing ability in hardware. Get a Geforce 6/7. If you want it really cheap I think you should get a Geforce 7300 (but I don't own one so I can't give you a review). If you are OK with a little more pricey, Geforce 6600GT/6800/7600GT I would say.
I discovered a few weird things in that demo.
I while back I ran it and it was fine. Rendered the grass, skies, everything.
A week or so ago I tried running it again and it gave me a compilation error. I was like "huh?". I unzipped the project and ran the app again only to find the same errors witht the grass shader code. I was confused. So I commented out everything the compiler was complaining about and ended up having no rendering of grass but I still had a low fps asif the card was rendering it.
Another thing thats weird (and its a good one, but I think I can explain why) is that the scene renders faster if you enable Anti-Aliasing. Weird, but then I remembered an article where people talked about the optimizations thats with those rendering effects that helps the renderer draw faster.

Anyway, just thoaght I added my 2c.
Nice demo JavaCoolDude! Oh, just a personal question... didn't you get tired with working with that XML code the whole time? [wink]
"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires" - Psalm 37:4My Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement