LookupAccountName

Started by
3 comments, last by _Madman_ 17 years, 9 months ago
I am trying for whole day to get SID from a user name, MSDN and bunch of other sites I googled up seems to give one answer - use LookupAccountName. The thing is that this function doesn't work, I get a ERROR_IO_PENDING as getlasterror and invalid SID. NOTHING on the web makes sense about this problem and I do want to finish the project. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? I am using single threaded app and this function doesnt have handles or anything to lock... Even more, it actually returns success although the SID is junk... I tried Sleeping for 5, 10 secs... same result... And afaik

while(GetLastError() == ERR_IO_JUNK)
{
SetLastError(0);
Sleep(a_lot);
}

is not doing anything, right, getlasterror is only set once after function call?
______________________________Madman
Advertisement
People might be better equipped to help you if you showed your LookupAccountName() call.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
People might be better equipped to help you if you showed your LookupAccountName() call.

Sorry

SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR SecDescr;if(!InitializeSecurityDescriptor(&SecDescr, SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR_REVISION))	MessageBeep(-1);char szUserBuff[512];DWORD dwUserBuffLen = sizeof(szUserBuff)/sizeof(szUserBuff[0]);		SetLastError(0);if(!GetUserNameEx(NameUserPrincipal, szUserBuff, &dwUserBuffLen))	MessageBeep(-1);DWORD a = GetLastError();PSID sidCurrentUsr = NULL;DWORD dwSidSize = 1024;DWORD dwDomainNameSize = 1024;char *szDomain = NULL;SID_NAME_USE enumNameUse;memset(&enumNameUse, 0, sizeof(SID_NAME_USE));//LookupAccountName(NULL, szUserBuff, sidCurrentUsr, &dwSidSize, szDomain, &dwDomainNameSize, &enumNameUse);//commented out to test with hardcoded allocated buffersa = GetLastError();SetLastError(0);sidCurrentUsr = (PSID)calloc(1, dwSidSize);szDomain = (char*)malloc(dwDomainNameSize);SetLastError(0);if(!LookupAccountName(NULL, szUserBuff, sidCurrentUsr, &dwSidSize, szDomain, &dwDomainNameSize, &enumNameUse))	MessageBeep(-1);a = GetLastError();SetLastError(0);if(IsValidSid(&sidCurrentUsr))	Sleep(1);a = GetLastError();SetLastError(0);Sleep(1);

you will probably need:

#define SECURITY_WIN32#include <security.h>#pragma comment(lib, "Secur32.lib")

in header...
I'm not a Windows security expert, but have you tried checking out this article?

hope that helps,
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by kSquared
I'm not a Windows security expert, but have you tried checking out this article?

hope that helps,

Thanks for the answer, I'll try to run that code, but so far it seems to be 99% identic at the core... Then again it's usually obvious typos that make you go crazy...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement