Windowed OpenGL broken in Vista build 5472 ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 9 months ago
In Vista build 5472 (July CTP) I can only get fullscreen OpenGL to work. It appears that windowed OpenGL apps only work with the 'classic' theme (which looks pretty bad). The default Vista theme seems to disable all OpenGL output for windowed apps. I'm using a GeForce 7800 with nVIDIA's (beta) Vista driver. On the May Beta 2 of Vista my windowed OpenGL apps worked just fine with the same hardware and driver. Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone with an ATI card have a different/similar experience? Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
I didn't try any OpenGL programs on my Vista but isn't it the way it is supposed to be? I thought that you can't run Aero and an OpenGL program at the same time.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Not as far as I know. The compositor *may* be disabled for OpenGL applications, but after that they should still run. Under the previous build all my own OpenGL apps as well as commercial games were running perfectly in a window, *without* disabling the compositor (i.e. Vista theme, transparency etc.).

In the current build there is no output to windowed OpenGL apps (at least on my machine) and they only show black screens. This also applies to applications like Softimage XSI which use OpenGL for their GUI's (and these apps cannot be run in full screen mode).

Switching to the 'Classic' theme is a bit extreme and it wasn't necessary on the first beta (still called Longhorn, I think) and beta 2.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue. According to the docs the nVidia drivers have been sorted out in this build (implying that there were problems before).
It may be that this particular build broke a driver or something. I doubt there's much you can do if you're completely up to date; just file a bug report.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement