matrix tetris

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
I have the source code that I am planning to use for both programs but my question is this, Can I write it so that the tetris pieces come down in matrix code. Basically what I am going for is a tetris with matrix style pieces. Can it be done and if so I could use a little advice. I am using C++ to write it.
Advertisement
I recognize all the words individually, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you asking how to replace tetra-block graphics in a tetris clone?
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Quote:Original post by Unknownabilty
I have the source code that I am planning to use for both programs but my question is this, Can I write it so that the tetris pieces come down in matrix code. Basically what I am going for is a tetris with matrix style pieces. Can it be done and if so I could use a little advice. I am using C++ to write it.

Syntax Error: Line 1 of Post.cpp.
Identifier referenced before assignment: "the source code"

Please post your problem clearly spelling out what code you are working with. You will need to be MUCH more specific if you want to get any sort of worthwhile help.
Yes, I want to replace the blocks with a matrix style blocks. I am working with code that I got off of code project for both tetris and the matrix theme. Like I said I am trying to change the regular pieces that are normally in tetris to a matrix code style.
If you don't state what *exactly* is the problem clearly, no one will be able to help you. You seem to think that we know those sources you got from somewhere and that we know what you have on your mind, but we really don't. What does it mean "I want to replace the blocks with a matrix style blocks."? What is matrix-style? Do you want the blocks to appear as black boxes with little green letters inside of them? The just make such a picture in Paint or Gimp or whatever, and draw that instead of regular blocks.

Do you have any actual programming experience, or did you just downloaded 2 cool irrelevent programs with source code and just want to "fuse" them together? There's no magical way to do that, and we can't give you any advice because,again, we have no idea what you're talking about. Otherwise, please post exactly what you want to do, what have you tried to accomplish it, and what is the problem.
Do you understand what the Tetris code is doing? You'll have to modify the renderer to draw the texture the same way as the other piece of code you have draws it. If the graphics APIs don't match up, then you'll just have to adapt the theory.

If you don't understand the last sentence, you're out of your depth for doing this, and need to enumerate to us how much programming experience you really have so we can help.
I'll just jump in and say that I think the OP wants to draw the Tetris blocks in the style of the code from the Matrix film trilogy. If that is in fact the case, more clarity certainly would have been helpful (starting with capitalization of the movie title!).

Anyway, if it hasn't already been done, 'Matrix-style' Tetris seems like a pretty cool idea. To implement it you'll need a glyph/character set, for starters. The rest depends, but if you have some experience with graphics APIs such as OpenGL or Direct3D, you should be able to look at the effect from the film and come up with an approximation using the appropriate fixed-function or shader effects.
That is exactly what I am talking about. Sorry about the confusion, I have minimin experiance with graphic API's. I have a feeling that this may be a little over my head with this project. Maybe now with that we are all on the same page we can try and get me pointed in the right direction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement