Sign in to follow this  
eektor

What programs do you use to draw?

Right now I'm using Paint to draw art. I'm not very artistic and I know other people's programmer's art are much better than mine, so I would like a hopefully free program (although I'm willing to spend some money for one) that would be able to do more stuff than the Paint program I have. I'm curious what program the regular programmer's use to draw their programmer's art?

Quote:
Original post by eektor
Right now I'm using Paint to draw art. I'm not very artistic and I know other people's programmer's art are much better than mine, so I would like a hopefully free program (although I'm willing to spend some money for one) that would be able to do more stuff than the Paint program I have.

I'm curious what program the regular programmer's use to draw their programmer's art?

The Gimp?

finally, im not the only one who likes paintshop pro.

a bad carpenter blames their tools.

good programmer art is a combination of the tools and your skills. know your tools.

I use a combination of Alias Sketchbook, Painter and Gimp for my raster art, and Inkscape, and some custom tools for my vector art. For animations I tend to use Poser and Adobe After Effects.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I use Gimpshop.

For those who don't know, Gimpshop is a build of The Gimp where the interface has been modified to be similar to that of Photoshop.

I use the latest (at the time of this post) Windows build of The Gimp.

Paint Shop Pro 7. It rocks.

As a bit of an aside, I have occasionally tried (unsuccessfully) to write graphics editing software and this alone has given me an enormous respect for the commercial packages available.

Thanks for the ideas. I definitely will check them out. I don't think I would want to pay the $80 for Paint Shop Pro 10 though. Gimp or Gimpshop sounds pretty good though.

I don’t. I hit up one of my buddies to make me some art if I need it. I have no talented to draw anything beyond stick figures.

For tiles I like using Buttonz and Tilez for random stuff but for more detailed stuff I use Tile Studio

for sprites I 3D model them in anim8or then use the gimp to scale and make sure the animations were fine.

I sometimes use flash, but my art skills are horrible.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I am still wishing that someone would port Deluxe Paint (or a reasonable facsimile) from the Amiga to OS X. Pixen is good but doesn't come anywhere near.

You've just reminded me how simple life was when I used to write games with AMOS. Tears in eyes as I write this. Bring back BOBs.

Art Rage 2 (I need to register for the full version; it's only $20!), PhotoShop, Inkscape. I can't afford/justify Illustrator as yet.

Also, there's good old pencil and paper, which, when combined with a good scanner, greatly accelerates the early stages of your work. The hard part is finding a sketchbook that has scanner-friendly binding (or a scanner with a flex hinge and side skirts).

Also, Paint.NET.

Ehh, let's see here.

The game we are making now, we have decided to go after a new style. All art will be done by hand. Although, test art is done by me in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Chad.

I use Paint Shop Pro X. If you watch for mail in rebates, you can probably get the latest version of Paint Shop Pro for ~$60 to $50 after rebates. I bought my version a year ago from the local Fry's just because of the rebate opportunity. I think Paint Shop Pro is a great cheap alternative to the very expensive Photoshop app. I tried Gimp before I bought Paint Shop Pro, but i really just could not get use to Gimp's interface. Needless to say, Paint Shop Pro was worth every penny of the little money that I spent on it.

For old-school pixel art I like the free version of GraphicsGale. It has lots of handy features for working with sprites, and onion skinning for animation too. It is also quite simple to use, and shouldn't be too difficult switching from Paint. In high-end graphics software I find it is usually much more difficult working with individual pixels and palettes.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Art Rage 2 (I need to register for the full version; it's only $20!)

Seconded, Art Rage is a great program. IIRC you can do quite a bit in the free version, but layer support is well worth forking out the money for.

I also use PSP 8, mainly because I bought it when it was on offer a while ago and I havn't seen a good replacement that isn't stupidly expensive. Annoyingly the latest PSP version seems to have morphed into a photo touch-up app rather than the painting program it once was.

Download the trial version of Xara Xtreme from Xara and look atthe exmaple art work. It's really good for UI and texture work.

Gimp for most textures [though admittedly i don't actually draw most my textures, but take a picture of them and then copy-paste where i want it, and scale it], unless they are 2d people or animated anything, inwhich case i use blender to model it, and render it to a bitmap of the appropriate size, and use gimp to touch it up if necessary.

Suppose i could use MSPaint to copy past :P, but it's resize stuff s really primitive compared to that of gimp/photoshop.

I too am a terrible artist, but its a lot easier if i can just shoot pictures, and do crumby models. My biggest problem is proportion, and keeping it consistant through several frames, which is what blender really helps with.