What programs do you use to draw?

Started by
26 comments, last by ianp622 17 years, 9 months ago
For old-school pixel art I like the free version of GraphicsGale. It has lots of handy features for working with sprites, and onion skinning for animation too. It is also quite simple to use, and shouldn't be too difficult switching from Paint. In high-end graphics software I find it is usually much more difficult working with individual pixels and palettes.
Advertisement

AutoCAD all the way.
Photoshop when needed.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Art Rage 2 (I need to register for the full version; it's only $20!)

Seconded, Art Rage is a great program. IIRC you can do quite a bit in the free version, but layer support is well worth forking out the money for.

I also use PSP 8, mainly because I bought it when it was on offer a while ago and I havn't seen a good replacement that isn't stupidly expensive. Annoyingly the latest PSP version seems to have morphed into a photo touch-up app rather than the painting program it once was.
Download the trial version of Xara Xtreme from Xara and look atthe exmaple art work. It's really good for UI and texture work.
Gimp for most textures [though admittedly i don't actually draw most my textures, but take a picture of them and then copy-paste where i want it, and scale it], unless they are 2d people or animated anything, inwhich case i use blender to model it, and render it to a bitmap of the appropriate size, and use gimp to touch it up if necessary.

Suppose i could use MSPaint to copy past :P, but it's resize stuff s really primitive compared to that of gimp/photoshop.

I too am a terrible artist, but its a lot easier if i can just shoot pictures, and do crumby models. My biggest problem is proportion, and keeping it consistant through several frames, which is what blender really helps with.

I'm quite fond of Cosmigo Pro Motion

It's great for bitmap work and palette manipulation ( i.e. for GBA/DS work ), and has lots of features that are similar to DPaint.

Can take a bit of getting used to though, and its not free ( although, there is a shareware version )
I'll second Paint.NET. It's free, has a simple interface, and provides a reasonable set of functionality.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I use Photoshop elements because it came bundled with my tablet. I was actually surprised that anything I did in Photoshop I could do in Photoshop elements. (That may not apply to everyone.)

Anyway, you can get it for about $20. And if you're a student, you might want to look at an academic discount site, because you can get a wacom tablet for about $80. Then you'll get Painter and Photoshop Elements 2.0 free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement