What programs do you use to draw?

Started by
26 comments, last by ianp622 17 years, 8 months ago
Right now I'm using Paint to draw art. I'm not very artistic and I know other people's programmer's art are much better than mine, so I would like a hopefully free program (although I'm willing to spend some money for one) that would be able to do more stuff than the Paint program I have. I'm curious what program the regular programmer's use to draw their programmer's art?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eektor
Right now I'm using Paint to draw art. I'm not very artistic and I know other people's programmer's art are much better than mine, so I would like a hopefully free program (although I'm willing to spend some money for one) that would be able to do more stuff than the Paint program I have.

I'm curious what program the regular programmer's use to draw their programmer's art?

The Gimp?
For a pseudo-Photoshop alternative, you can take a look at Gimp. For vector art, there's InkScape. When it comes out, Cinepaint Glasgow will provide high-precision painting. There are a few other pieces of free paint/drawing software out there, but I don't use them.
! personally prefer paint shop pro.
finally, im not the only one who likes paintshop pro.

a bad carpenter blames their tools.

good programmer art is a combination of the tools and your skills. know your tools.
---------Coming soon! Microcosm II.
I use a combination of Alias Sketchbook, Painter and Gimp for my raster art, and Inkscape, and some custom tools for my vector art. For animations I tend to use Poser and Adobe After Effects.
I'm partial to GraphicConverter, but it's Mac only :(
I use Gimpshop.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I use Gimpshop.

For those who don't know, Gimpshop is a build of The Gimp where the interface has been modified to be similar to that of Photoshop.

I use the latest (at the time of this post) Windows build of The Gimp.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Paint Shop Pro 7. It rocks.

As a bit of an aside, I have occasionally tried (unsuccessfully) to write graphics editing software and this alone has given me an enormous respect for the commercial packages available.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement