Someone help me!!!

Started by
1 comment, last by Century 17 years, 8 months ago
I decided to create my first RPG game, so I downloaded the HGE engine (haaf's game engine) and got to decide some things... I decided that the game will be tile based, and that I am going to render the tiles using 3DS, but I got some problems... I have no idea on how to store a map, I have no idea on how to create the tiles ifself (I already discovered how to set up the camera in the right angle of vision, but I am still wondering how I make the pieces fit in the tiles..), how to program the map renderer, and how to detect when there are something in front of the character (since it will be annoying to do not see your char when entering a horizontal tight alley). The other prolem is that I have no idea if is better to create a scrolling map, or a map that wait you move to the border, remembering that I want to create a map that simulate things like GTA and there will be the use of vehicles... Any help will make me fell less suicidal...
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.
Advertisement
Storing map data - A fairly simple way is to just store the data in an array

Creating Tiles - Not exactly sure what you mean hear so I will answer both ways. You can use a program such as paint to create the tiles and after you have created them you can 'seperate' them into their parts through the use of a SpriteManaging class you could make. (It can store the x\y location of the tile in the image, how big the tile is, and other important things)

Rendering - To render it an easy way would be to use for statements and use the array. Check what the part of the array your character would be by is using the character x\y.

Detecting in front - I'll let you try to figure it out after you get everything else working.

Your last problem - It may just be me but I think of those two things as really the same thing.
Quote:Original post by DarkZlayer
Storing map data - A fairly simple way is to just store the data in an array

Creating Tiles - Not exactly sure what you mean hear so I will answer both ways. You can use a program such as paint to create the tiles and after you have created them you can 'seperate' them into their parts through the use of a SpriteManaging class you could make. (It can store the x\y location of the tile in the image, how big the tile is, and other important things)

Rendering - To render it an easy way would be to use for statements and use the array. Check what the part of the array your character would be by is using the character x\y.

Detecting in front - I'll let you try to figure it out after you get everything else working.

Your last problem - It may just be me but I think of those two things as really the same thing.

I'm just wondering - is there anything wrong with being so simple in game design? I've read so much about arrays of pointers, classes etc... to do all of this stuff... Is it all really necessary when a couple of arrays can do the job? Maybe memory usage will be higher, but is that such a problem on modern comps?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement