Sign in to follow this  
Leclerc

import plugin!!!

hi, i been a newbee, and so i have a most question over mel script! after i have read http://www.robthebloke.org/ and i whas interest to create a import plugin for maya! and so i ask this: is import script identically as a export script for a plugin? the version of my maya is 4.5!! i would just create a import plugin, so that i can reverse game model to maya binary file. so as import anim, locator, uvmap position.... this version of maya, lay out a plugin to export model in game, some functional with this version of maya!

erm, depends if you mean you want to write the importer in mel or the API. Essentially you need to reverse the process of the exporter, however importers tend to be a lot more involved. Infact, using mel is in some ways easier for importers than using the API. If you restrict yourself to the API entirely, it can be *very* tedious re-connecting all of the attributes. Some things like mesh data are easier in the API (infact, i'd go so far as to say meshes are impossible to import in mel), things like blendshapes/materials/textures are easier to set up in mel. From experiance, a mix of both API & mel is definately the easiest way to do it.

tbh, i can import most data back into Maya these days, however there are still small problems i have with certain items that i've as yet been unable to figure out. In all honesty, i still have a lot to learn about it (i've only been trying for 8 years or so!). Importing anim curves for rotation data is probably the nastiest bit.

hi rob, if you would, in first i can you send 3 different maya mb sample file, so that you can look, what all the import must have!