Sign in to follow this  
levjs

MFC For Dummies

Hi, I'm a little confused. What exactly is MFC. I know it's a way to create dialog boxes, but can it also be used with other things. For example, in an OpenGL program, could I use MFC whenever a dialog box was needed, I.E. for options or something? Or is it a stand alone thing? I really don't think I'm getting the whole thing with this, and I'm sure I sound like an idiot. [smile] Please forgive me? Thanks Levi

Hey there.

MFC is just a C++ wrapper for Win32. It's for people who prefer C++ over C, object-oriented over procedural, and/or people who want something a bit more "high-level" than Win32. It's a lot easier to use than straight Win32, although a lot of people complain about it for some reason.

mfc is an application framework... basically a collection of C++ classes that wrap a good portion of the Win32 API (windows, GDI, winsock, shell programming). it is a standalone thingy. it wraps WinMain/DllMain so you really can't mix it into a Win32 app. so if you have a console program you can't just include the MFC headers and use it to display a dialog. it's all or nothing.