Sign in to follow this  

Installing SDL help

This topic is 4165 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to install SDL for Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I've tried to use help from older versions of Visual C++ but I can't seem to figure it out (not sure if I'm doing the right thing). Right now I have the folder SDL-1.2.11 in C, and I think I updated the directories, but it doesn't work. I put: #include "SDL.h" int main( int argc, char* argv[] ) { // Body of the program goes here. return 0; } in, compiled, and... Right now Im getting the errors: MSVCRTD.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup C:\Documents and Settings\Mark.MyComputer\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Learning SDL\Debug\Learning SDL.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Anything would be helpful, especially a link to step by step guide to installing it from step 1 if there is one out there. Thanks in advance.

Did you set up the directories for include and library files? Did you then link the libraries? If not, someone else had a similar problem earlier today: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewreply.asp?ID=2692788.

If that didn't help, change you main() function to look more like this:
int main( int, char** )

I haven't used SDL too much, but I know it's picky about that syntax. Perhaps because SDL redefines your main() function via a macro and it depends on that syntax. But don't quote me on that!

EDIT: This doesn't agree with the link given by RedDragon above. Ignore the second half of my post :)

Looks like your not linking the sdl libraries

Project->properties->linker->Additional dependencies
add: SDL.lib SDLmain.lib

Also be sure to set it up as a multithreaded dll
Project->properties->C/C++->Code Generation->Multi-threaded dll (/MD)

Quote:
Original post by squashed_bug
Looks like your not linking the sdl libraries

Project->properties->linker->Additional dependencies
add: SDL.lib SDLmain.lib

Also be sure to set it up as a multithreaded dll
Project->properties->C/C++->Code Generation->Multi-threaded dll (/MD)

Yup that first thing is what I forgot. Thanks a ton. Is it reccomended or even possible to make this default?

This topic is 4165 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.