Sign in to follow this  

Novice Prog. Software Questions

This topic is 4166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have wanted to start attempting to progam minor games, and i was just wondering if there are any novice programming software out, that i could purchase. I want to start programming/designing, and would really like some helpful suggestions to getting started. I would like something within a decent budget, any input would be greatly appreciated. Links to software sites Information sites on beginning programming Thanks DTOX

Guest Anonymous Poster
It depends quite alot on how much experience you have and if you want to learn programming or if you just want to make games.

if you want to learn programming you can download any free compiler (gcc comes with almost all linux distros) , microsoft visual studio express something should be free from microsofts website (i think it has compilers for C++, C#, VB.Net and possibly others aswell).

you can download everything you need for java development from java.sun.com

download both the java development kit and visual studio express and try VB.Net , C# , Java and possibly C++ (there are lots of resources avaliable online for C++ but the language can be a real pain in the ... so im not sure i can recomend it).

you can use google to find tutorials for all the languages, try each of them to see which one you like best and then go and buy a few good books.

if you don't want to learn programming you can buy a RAD tool such as GameMaker, it isn't nearly as powerful as a programming language but will allow you to make simple games relativly easily.

another option might be macromedia flash or 3dRad (i've used an old version of 3drad and was pretty impressed with its flexibilty and simplicity), there is a free version avaliable at www.3drad.com (you need to buy it to be able to create games that can run on a computer without 3drad installed though).

Guest Anonymous Poster
oh and ofcourse you would also need some graphics tools,

for really simple stuff ms paint will be enough, though something like photoshop , paintshop pro or the gimp is definitly better.

for 3D you would need a modelling tool, blender is free and milkshape3d is very cheap. if you are filthy rich or are able to get a student licence 3dsmax or maya are better options.

This topic is 4166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.