[web] Any good browser based gamedev community?

Started by
38 comments, last by Raz Malone 17 years, 8 months ago
Ah yes, as I am still young to this site I actually only read a few of the forums on here. This one is one I try to check the most often. I try to give input where I can.

Now guys, all the people reading this forum I'm assuming are web developers. Those of us who enjoy creating web base games, why don't we create our own forum site for Web-Dev Game programming. I've got a server to host it on.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Raz Malone
Now guys, all the people reading this forum I'm assuming are web developers. Those of us who enjoy creating web base games, why don't we create our own forum site for Web-Dev Game programming. I've got a server to host it on.

Thats a great idea!
What would be some good Names for the site?
Web Game Development or WEBGDEV

Here are some good forum titles and catagories I have so far:
Technical
--PHP
--ASP
--SQL
--CSS
--FLASH

Game Development
--RPG General
--FPS General
--Stragedy General
--Mini Game General
--Multi User
--Economy
--Battle Systems
WebGameDev.net? :D

This category list looks great man.
Well this is what I've got so far. It was thrown together pretty quickly and does not have any resources as of yet. When I get the time I'll do more with it than it just being a forum, and yes it's phpBB.

http://www.echoempires.com/webrpgdev/
Quote:Original post by Raz Malone
Well this is what I've got so far. It was thrown together pretty quickly and does not have any resources as of yet. When I get the time I'll do more with it than it just being a forum, and yes it's phpBB.

http://www.echoempires.com/webrpgdev/

Woah it looks great! Thanks for the overtime!

Now all we need is to get it populated. I'll try to round up as many as possible. :)

Found a community:
http://www.webgamebuilder.com/

Too bad its dead since 2004.
http://www.gamealot.net/forums/

Looks like crap, still in programming, don't mind the popup window I have a php debug class that stores a ton of debug info and creates a popup so I don't have to pollute the page with its output

You can create an account, the forums don't fully work yet ;)

Basically its a Zend Framework website work in progress with the idea of it not just being a development forum for web games but the site itself hosting, sponsoring and supporting web games.

I could use some help though as my graphic skills suck ;) im just working on all the backend programming, My house recently got hit by lightning and im in the middle of replacing my computers so progress has stalled a little bit but I hope to have the forums done soon.
--------------------------------- PHP, HTML, DHTML, &#106avascript, Ajax, Flash.. Available for hire or partner on web based games.
I just saw this and I had to chime in. I'm actually making a web-based real time strategy MMO right now, and its nearing completion. It should be online and playable in about a week or two. I used the following languages:
HTML
&#106avascript
PHP
MySQL

Pretty much the only thing thats left on it are the graphics and icons. I'm still debating what to do with the source code when I'm done though. It's fairly lengthy though, about 400+ pages worth of code.

Oh, by the way. As far as I know, its unhackable. But don't quote me on that.

So if you need any help, just ask.

Someone13
Someone13
Quote:Original post by Someone13
I just saw this and I had to chime in. I'm actually making a web-based real time strategy MMO right now, and its nearing completion. It should be online and playable in about a week or two. I used the following languages:
HTML
&#106avascript
PHP
MySQL

Pretty much the only thing thats left on it are the graphics and icons. I'm still debating what to do with the source code when I'm done though. It's fairly lengthy though, about 400+ pages worth of code.

Oh, by the way. As far as I know, its unhackable. But don't quote me on that.

So if you need any help, just ask.

Someone13

Woah nice! Question barrage!

1) How long did you take to make it? Were you formally trained or had prior experience in PHP, MySQL?

2) How hard do you rate making a PHP MMO wargame? What about for a person learning PHP from scratch with only experience using Actionscript?

3) Was it a rewarding experience or do you feel it took up too much of your life?

4) Whats the link to your game? :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement