[web] Any good browser based gamedev community?

Started by
38 comments, last by Raz Malone 17 years, 8 months ago
Anyone knows any community of browser based game developers? Didn't see any around on the net. I'm trying to make a PHP browser based wargame and I have a programmer friend to advise me but i need to talk to people about gameplay and pick up proven techniques for this "genre". Thanks~
Advertisement
I don't think there is such a board (if there is, don't bite me), but you don't need one either. The thing is, you just need to combine game programming with web programming. So find resources on those two subjects and do your thang!!
There's a huge amount of developers right here on GameDev. The great thing about game development is that game mechanics can be applied with almost any platform, system and library. So, if you bring up your issues to the game programming forum, you'll be able to get so much input on gameplay.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I feel your pain. :(

I've been asking for a mud-dev board for some time now, but the idea always seems to get shot down. The web-dev forum is a great place to ask any web-coding questions (people like Sander have tons of experience/knowledge and are pretty darn good about answering questions), but I find the game-design forum to be rather lackluster. The typical questions are 'I want to make a game with x, y, z features.... what do you guys think?' while the typical responses will always be 'yeah, that sounds good'. Very rarely have I seen any good feedback/constructive criticism from that group. I really wish the admins would start another board dedicated to web-based game programming that could address issues like in-game economy, combat algorythms, etc. But, alas, it does not exist.... yet.
It is, of course, a slippery slope. If you get forum based, then someone wants console, then someone wants handheld specific to PDA...and where do you draw the line?

Keep it vague, and you questions get seen by everyone. There are times that I find the design forum to be a bit lacking, but I often believe it is because the author of the post really shows nothing to be criticized. They don't begin a conversation. Saying "what do you think" is not a good topic starter. Ask for specific answers about specific topics, and branch the discussion from there.

As far as web programming related to games -- post away in the general development or web development section, and those of us who can help you in anyway will.
Well, if we can't get genre specific due to the 1000's of different genre's that exist, how about a board that is dedicated to combat algorythms, economics and game balacing? I'm not sure what exactly you'd call that sort of forum, but I do think its needed.

The trouble I have found over the last 2 or so years is that I can answer all my web-programming related questions with the web-dev forum (and, from talking with others, most programming/math related questions can be easily resolved through this site), but if I have questions concerning 'how do I develop the economny in my game... here is what I have so far' or 'How do I keep one players from becomming too powerful', etc. I usually get (and I know this is going to offend somebody, but oh well) answers from what seems to be younger kids that have never really made a game before, yet think they know it all. Its like all the newbies who want to design a game hang out in the game design forum which makes most of the more experienced developers shy away. At least, that has been my experience. Maybe a mud-dev forum is too specific.... but something similar would be very nice.
Yeah, I definitely understand your concern and see your point. Though, unfortunately, I think most moderators would claim that even to the point of algorithms, it falls under design. Unfortunately, I sort of agree with them. I think you just have to do your best to glean the most you can in these forums from those with experience and take the comments of those with little experience with a grain of salt.

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but I just don't see it happening.

Again, as I said, I find the design forum is best kept to very short posts with very specific questions, instead of putting really long posts with very little for questions. They get off topic fast and allow the less experienced with more lee-way.

If all else fails, you could e-mail some of the people who you know have made MUDs and web-based games before who might not lurk on these forums.
Quote:Original post by Cygnus_X
I feel your pain. :(

I've been asking for a mud-dev board for some time now, but the idea always seems to get shot down. The web-dev forum is a great place to ask any web-coding questions (people like Sander have tons of experience/knowledge and are pretty darn good about answering questions), but I find the game-design forum to be rather lackluster. The typical questions are 'I want to make a game with x, y, z features.... what do you guys think?' while the typical responses will always be 'yeah, that sounds good'. Very rarely have I seen any good feedback/constructive criticism from that group. I really wish the admins would start another board dedicated to web-based game programming that could address issues like in-game economy, combat algorythms, etc. But, alas, it does not exist.... yet.

If you're looking for help with MUD programming, you can probably find it here:
http://www.mudconnector.com/
Quote:Original post by Lukewarm
If you're looking for help with MUD programming, you can probably find it here:
http://www.mudconnector.com/

Ah yes, i was about to recommend mudconnector too. :)

It is hard to discuss BBG game design issues on an open topic forum. I started a thread about the purpose of the turn/AP cap and didn't get a single response:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=405343

Where are all the BBG designers? :(
Quote:Original post by sarahcovenant
Where are all the BBG designers? :(

Looking at the responses in this thread, it seems quite a few frequent this forum. You could ask here instead of the general game development forum.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement