Red vs Blue: online wargaming

Started by
28 comments, last by ToohrVyk 17 years, 8 months ago
After some thinking, I may have a variation that can be satisfying: when the player first connects to the game, he selects his color before seeing the playing field. This way, he may stay with his friends and choose his favourite color, but may not select the winning side.

Advertisement
I would recomend useing a Scissors/Paper/Rock system that would enhance the tactical decissions. If you have 3 unit types adn they had an advantage over each other in the same manner as the S/P/R game then it could make the combats more interesting.

You could have:
Bombers that would beat Tanks
AA Turrets that would beat Bombers
And the Tanks would beat the AA Turrets

If each troop that is moved out of the Home Base could become one of these you could have an interesting battlefield.
Quote:Original post by Edtharan
I would recomend useing a Scissors/Paper/Rock system that would enhance the tactical decissions. If you have 3 unit types adn they had an advantage over each other in the same manner as the S/P/R game then it could make the combats more interesting.

The key to this design is its simplicity, and I might well scrap everything but Target/Base/Normal/Water tiles to simplify it even further. Adding two more unit types (and the required interface for controlling them) would reduce simplicity. While your suggestion is an atemporal staple of tactical games and would be welcome in many designs, I'll pass.

Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
After some thinking, I may have a variation that can be satisfying: when the player first connects to the game, he selects his color before seeing the playing field. This way, he may stay with his friends and choose his favourite color, but may not select the winning side.

Hmmmm...what if after connecting to the game and realising that the color he chooses is the losing side, he deletes his account and start a new one? Or do you plan to lock IP address into 1 account for life?

This might be a viable solution but what if new players who are just "trying out" your game randomly chooses a color and then later their friends joined under a different color? They won't be able to switch to their friend's color then?

Is there anyway to make players feel indifferent joining the losing team? Maybe you can having 3 spaced out objective point instead of just 1. So that a color can lose without getting wiped out or pushed into a corner. Disadvantage is that players could lose through no fault of their own: the guys defending the other objective sux etc.

Quote:Original post by sarahcovenant
Hmmmm...what if after connecting to the game and realising that the color he chooses is the losing side, he deletes his account and start a new one? Or do you plan to lock IP address into 1 account for life?

Yes. There are no accounts, only a binding between a color and an IP address.

Quote:
This might be a viable solution but what if new players who are just "trying out" your game randomly chooses a color and then later their friends joined under a different color? They won't be able to switch to their friend's color then?

All IP-color bindings are reset when the game ends (if one side loses). The player may then group with his friends for a full game.

Quote:Is there anyway to make players feel indifferent joining the losing team? Maybe you can having 3 spaced out objective point instead of just 1. So that a color can lose without getting wiped out or pushed into a corner. Disadvantage is that players could lose through no fault of their own: the guys defending the other objective sux etc.

I'm not sure I understand how 3 objective points instead of 1 would help, but I am notoriously thick indeed. By all means, a defending power would have access to more units (shorter supply lines) and be able to strike back with more efficiency than a power lunging into the other's territory with only limited firepower and large losses. Moving the target tiles away from the base only makes them harder to defend (and thus, if the front line is broken, the enemy may well reach that tile faster than its defenders can).

As an avid gamer myself I still don't like the IP color binding. There is really no way to stop people from abandoning the losing team huh?
In fact, what I would be more concerned about is players changing teams to give idiotic orders to their enemy's troops, and then changing back to their original team.
In fact, what I would be more concerned about is players changing teams to give idiotic orders to their enemy's troops, and then changing back to their original team.

Nice catch on that exploit. :P

But since IP and color are linked its not possible to switch sides? But about the use of proxies to start an account in the opposing color to give idiotic orders?

Quote:Original post by sarahcovenant
But since IP and color are linked its not possible to switch sides? But about the use of proxies to start an account in the opposing color to give idiotic orders?

Exactly: your IP binds you to one side for the duration of the game, although you may change sides between games.

As for the use of proxies or other similar tactics, well, I'm afraid nothing can be done about that, but setting up something like this is difficult enough to be rare. As long as all players don't have a nice checkbox saying, in essence, "I want to give orders to the enemy troops" then I am happy with it.

Exactly: your IP binds you to one side for the duration of the game, although you may change sides between games.

As for the use of proxies or other similar tactics, well, I'm afraid nothing can be done about that, but setting up something like this is difficult enough to be rare. As long as all players don't have a nice checkbox saying, in essence, "I want to give orders to the enemy troops" then I am happy with it.

Its not difficult. There are a lot of free proxies out there.

Edit: Hmmm...wanna try up a prototype and let us have some fun kicking each other's arses?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement