Visual C++ Express Edition Debugger!

Started by
13 comments, last by NUCLEAR RABBIT 17 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I've been programming for about 3 months now, and I've been mainly using DevC++. I also have been using Visual C++: Express Edition, and have read a plethora of threads that say wonderful things about its debugger. The problem is, is that I feel like im not in the party with the rest of the crowd. When Im using Visual C++ Express Edition, the debugger, seems to be practically the same as DevC++ (not the same words, but the same message). Im not sure how to configure the debugger so that it is as good as everyone says it is, but can someone please help me figure out how to use the debugger to its fullest? Any Help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
If you're using the Express Editions of the software you will find that it will lack a lot of the features that you'll expect from Microsoft's full compilers.

If you want a full-featured compiler you'll have to buy one, like the Standard Edition of Visual Studio.
Really? Name three debugging features that the standard edition has that the express edition doesn't. Don't rush, I'm not going anywhere.

In any case, for the OP, you might want to check out this article on debugging.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Really? Name three debugging features that the standard edition has that the express edition doesn't. Don't rush, I'm not going anywhere.

Thanks for politely pointing that out, SiCrane. I meant 'Professional' onwards.
Quote:Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
...When Im using Visual C++ Express Edition, the debugger, seems to be practically the same as DevC++ (not the same words, but the same message). ...

Are you talking about the debugger or the compiler?

Quote:Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
...Im not sure how to configure the debugger so that it is as good as everyone says it is, but can someone please help me figure out how to use the debugger to its fullest?

Perhaps you should mention exactly which features you are looking for. I use the debugger out of the box without any special configuration.

Quote:Original post by Mathematix
Thanks for politely pointing that out, SiCrane. I meant 'Professional' onwards.

Perhaps SiCrane was a little hasty with his flame (he has been a little cranky lately), but OTOH, somebody that has been programming for only 3 months is unlikely to need the Professional version features that are missing from the Express version (whatever they might be).
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
The point of my original post, which was aparently too subtle, is that saying that someone should buy a new IDE is not a helpful suggestion without mentioning what new features that the new IDE comes with that would be relevant. Otherwise you're asking that they spend money without benefit.

Now let's try this again: Really? Name three debugging features that the professional edition has that the express edition doesn't. Don't rush, I'm still not going anywhere.

(Of course, what would be even more helpful would mentioning things that would help the OP use what he already has. Fortunately, superpig has already written a nice article on using the debugger that I already linked to.)
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
OTOH, somebody that has been programming for only 3 months is unlikely to need the Professional version features that are missing from the Express version (whatever they might be).

I know. I was just pointing out that the more professional compilers need to be paid for. :)
And just which of those features were you suggesting that the OP use? Or are you just posting to increase your post count without any regard for the actual topic of the thread?
SiCrane

I'm getting a little tired of you hounding me and displaying prejudice given your supposed high standing in this community.

I'm asking you politely, please stop.
If you can post a cogent explanation of why a $800.00 (USD) software upgrade is necessary to have a debugger has more features than that present in DevC++, then I'd be more than happy to apologize. However, since you have consistently failed to address any of the actual questions asked either by the original poster or myself then my posts have a simple purpose that is independent of any prejudice: it informs other forum members reading this thread that you don't know what you are talking about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement