Sign in to follow this  

Alpha blending artefacts (images)

This topic is 4162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying out alpha blending with my terrain renderer. The scene is composed of 3 layers of terrain, with increasing alpha values (=decreasing opacity). However, it doesn't entirely work: Look somewhat right from the center of the image, and at the center right. There are two 'hilltops' that for some reason shine through. I have no idea where that is coming from. This is how the scene is set up: This is how I set up the blending:
gl.glEnable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST);
gl.glEnable(GL.GL_BLEND);

gl.glDepthFunc(GL.GL_LEQUAL);		
gl.glBlendFunc(GL.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL.GL_ONE);
The layers are drawn back-to-front. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Try disabling your depth test. If the zbuffer is on then it will not render pixels under your transparant objects which will result in alpha not really working as expected.

Also, 66+33 is 99%. The 2nd layer will have 99% opacity since blending is additive. (Notice how the 3rd layer's opacity and the 2nd layer's opacity is the same)

Set the alpha levels to 33% on all of the layers, along with either disabling depth, or rendering back objects first then front ones, that should get it to work.

Regards,
DarkProphet

Set the opacity to 33%, and it all looks good now:

The front layer, as an exception, has an opacity of 100% because we want that one to always be clearly visible.

Thanks for all the kind help!

This topic is 4162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.