Terrain texturing in Supreme Commander

Started by
7 comments, last by Hubert 17 years, 8 months ago
I’ve been drooling over some screenshots and trailers from the upcoming strategy game Supreme Commander lately and I’m kind of stumped. What kind of black magic are these guys doing? The landscapes are huge and gorgeous. I figure that the LOD system might be something a kin to clipmapping, but the texturing is a conundrum to me. When the maps are zoomed out it looks like some ordinary texture wrapped on a heightfield, but when zooming in there are a lot of details. Does anyone have a clue about how they have solved this? My apologies if this have been discussed before. // Hubert \
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
Advertisement
WEll, though I think this game looks cool, I dont see anything special in the terrain textureing.. probably just detail textureing with blending based on slope or masks. It looks fine, but nothing amazing in the screenshots I have looked at.
Well, whatever they are doing the system seems to handle detail quite well.

The transitions between textures in this picture are really nice.
Clicky

And it looks quite good from a distance as well.
Clicky

I wonder how they structure the textures for each map. Could it be a grid of terrain chunks textured with splatting when zoomed in and perhaps a regular static texture when zoomed out?
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
No, doens't look like anything special.
The first pic looks like a high-res static decal texture. IE a unique texture that's placed on top of your standard splatted terrain textures.

The 2nd one just looks like standard splatting.

~Main
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
I think those pics are exceptional! It could be just me. Those are just extremely detailed textures though, but its the way all the textures come together in the game that make them look so cool!
Those models are also highly detailed.
What amazes me is the scale of it. I have seen many tech demos with terrain with huge maps, but when zooming in it always looks like crap. Here it is beautiful.
Well thats called the magic of shaders...There are many ways to accomplish such things:

Texture splatting, macro textures, cross fading, etc..

Mega textures as described by Carmack would have good quality but in my opinion are too cumbersome because of the huge memory requirements.
As Chris Taylor said in an interview (video footage on one of the last GameStar issues), they use a megatexture.
But I believe they do a reasonably amount of the terrain eye candy with heavy use of shaders.
Using your brain doesn't hurt at all.
Well in that case each map must take a lot of texturing memory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement