News of SGI selling OpenGL?

Started by
22 comments, last by zedzeek 17 years, 8 months ago
I seen on slashdot that SGI is looking at selling off OpenGL... What does this do for OpenGL's future?
Advertisement
The best thing it does is to get OpenGL the hell away from SGI. SGI may have created computer graphics, but they've been nothing but a burden on it for the last decade.

More specifically, it makes the OpenGL 3.0 proposals that much more likely to make it to reality, which is definitely a good thing.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
SGI has made bad business move in the past such as selling an undisclosed amount of their tech to Microsoft during the faherenheit fiasco.
If they sell it to nVidia or/and ATI, it is good. These 2 are the leaders of 3D graphics innovation and have influenced GL's design quite a lot since GL 1.1
nVidia is founded by X-SGI employees and ATI has bought a company called Art-X which also started by X-SGI people.
The power has changed hands between companies and home GPUs are what makes money.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
SGI has made bad business move in the past such as selling an undisclosed amount of their tech to Microsoft during the faherenheit fiasco.
If they sell it to nVidia or/and ATI, it is good. These 2 are the leaders of 3D graphics innovation and have influenced GL's design quite a lot since GL 1.1
nVidia is founded by X-SGI employees and ATI has bought a company called Art-X which also started by X-SGI people.
The power has changed hands between companies and home GPUs are what makes money.

Just not nVidia or ATi, I want both of them to support OpenGL equally, with none having some interest to support or not to support OpenGL.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Man, just not Microsoft. I'd rather they didn't squish it in an effort to force people to use windows.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Why would anyone want to buy an open standard?
[size="1"]
@m2tm: you mean microsoft buying opengl to kill it? for the sake of DX?

well its only the standard ... i doubt that neither ATI nor NVIDIA are able to define a standard, which the other can implement worse then the owner itself ... but nevertheless i would prefer cooperation of the two big vendors
The ARB is already an independent consortium that includes board members from both ATI and nVidia. Presumably, SGI means to sell off the trademarks and licensing rights associated with OpenGL that they protect so vehemently.
- CheeseMonger
could someone please explain how SGI has anything to sell in relation to OpenGL an open standard graphics API that is developed and maintained by a lot of groups, not just SGI...as far as I know no one really "owns" OpenGL
Which reverts us back to the last question, what's stopping Microsoft buying out the rights to OpenGL?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement