• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

asm shader debugging

This topic is 4225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i have been writing asm shaders using shader model 3.0 . i am able to debug the code when i assemble the shader using D3DXAssembleShaderFromFile and having the shader in a different file. i can add new breakpoints in the shader file and can watch the values of the registers at each break. so far so good. when i try to assemble the shader from memory using D3DXAssembleShader, it works fine and i am also adding the # line directive inside the shader code so as to get the debugger to work. the problem is, i am not able to add breakpoints inside the shader. i can see the shader in the active modules but i am not able to figure out how to do find out the value of the registers in vs3.0 or ps3.0 .. can anyone suggest some method? thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I had similar problems while debugging HLSL shaders, while they were compiled from memory. It seems that unless it has a physical source file to work with, it has issues. My solution was to save the modified shader back to a file (I was opening it, modifying the source text, then compiling from memory), and then compiling from file. Note that I only did this while debugging - I kept things like normal otherwise.

Well, for starters, if you're using SM 3 anyways, switch to HLSL - you're much less likely to need the debugger. :)

Remember that even with the ASM shaders, you're not really writing directly to the hardware, so writing in HLSL is unlikely to hurt your performance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement