• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ToohrVyk

MP3 ID tags

This topic is 4498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to read and edit the ID tags of existing MP3 files (mainly the author, title, track and album entries). Can anyone suggest a library to perform this? In order of decreasing preference, possible languages for doing this are: C#, O'Caml, C++, Java, C or Perl. EDIT: any open source licence is possible, with LGPL being preferred. Closed-source free libraries possible as well.

Advertisement
I don't think you really need a lib for that.
The tag is not much more than a couple of bytes of information appended to the original mp3 file.
You only have to find a description of the tag structure and a list of genres.

/Edit:

Here's a sample in vb.net: http://code.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=1154

What tag do you want, ID3 or ID3v2? The first has fixed limits on the length of text fields, the second has a much larger limit (Or no limit, I don't know).

WanMaster: the less work I have to do, the better. I have something like 4 hours to code something like this, so I'd rather concentrate on the actual logic instead of writing read/write code. Thank you for the link, though.

Evil Steve: Reading both, outputting ID3v2 would be fine.

Taglib looks a lot like what I need. I'll see if porting to windows or compiling with Cygwin is easy enough.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!