• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pghTech

Need Programming direction Part II

This topic is 4502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was hoping I could give you an idea where I stand with programming in C++ and where I want to go and see what the community programmers would do or path they would take as I am at a crossroads/stand still. I really enjoy programming, and have been doing so for my company in some higher level languages and scripts for the last year or more, doing fairly easy rudimentary programming (I would think so compared to some of the heavy large scale programs entail) However, I have taken the opportunity to learn C++ and know that it is allot tougher, but I feel having spent the last number of months trudging through some books and teaching myself that I can learn this with just time and effort. My question to everyone is that I really want to become profecient in C++ at the profession level, but as well become a programmer with a well defined practice of proper standards and good programming edicate. I am more and more coming to find out that programming is not about the language it is how you define, design, and the practices of programming used in your program that defines a programmer. I am think that writing my own program would be my next move. But would it? The funny thing is that I don't have some elaborate idea for a program. Therefore, if you were in my shoes, had just a very basic understanding of C++, what would be your next move? Where would you go next with learning C++ to an extensive level? If you have been so kind to read through this whole post, thank you kindly. Please be as detailed and if I didn't give you a peice of information, or wasn't detailed enough, please just assume and lay it out of what your next move(s) would be. I have also considered trying to find any projects on the web that I might be able to sign up for taking on a peice of the responsibility of whatever it is (allot of independent game modification groups due) in order to have a chance at working with a team. Since in my position, I am the only programmer doing what I do, and don't share any responsibility. Thanks so kindly.

Advertisement
I'd make a game... But I'm me.

Or possibly write a program to fit something you like doing (in my case, I'm making a painting program with opengl for a class project)

Start simple, make a tetris game. I used ascii to make one once... I don't know if I still have it... I think I made it in under an hour because someone on here mentioned it and I had never done it.

That was a fun little program that uses arrays and loops and classes and all that good stuff. So it's probably a great beginner project.

My best advice is to pick something that you can immerse yourself in which you will enjoy. I mean, you got into programming for a reason, what is it that you always wanted to make but haven't yet? Or if you have already made it, port it into C++ for practice.

I've had bad lucks with online projects, typically it's tough to find a group of dedicated people and to keep them that way when you can't meet physically to shake some sense into the team members when they start slacking. However, working with a group of programmers is a great idea. Perhapse try picking up on an open source project which you enjoy, look and poke around a bit and see if there's something you can fix or add onto. The great thing about open source projects is that there is ALREADY base code out there. Most project groups just starting are very flaky in my experience.

I would spend more time programming and studying and less time worrying about what to program and what to study. In the long run it really won't matter what you do today. New APIs, libraries and languages come out all the time and replace existing ones. What you should do is learn to learn. Do that you'll be set no matter which specific details you get under your belt today.

Thanks for the advice.

I have been thinking about taking on a program project which would allow someone to type in a title, description, choose from a drop down what language/script it was for, and what the source is (function, class, template).
Then a window to copy in the code and save it to a database. Where when your working on a program, you can just pull this program up, put in a description of something you know you have writen already and it will search the database for it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!