• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blaze02

driver bugs

This topic is 4443 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure anybody thats worked with D3DX font has seen the blocky text that gets generated when alpha blending is turned off. I'm getting the same problem, but all my render states are in order. The text is rendered inside a sprite's begin/end functions. The sprite is specified in the DrawText call as well. And just before rendering, I reduntantly set alphablending=true, srcblend=srcalpha, destblend=destalpha. The problem is on an old Geforce 2 card. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with overloading texture memory. We are loading in around 60 Mb of textures and the card can only handle 32Mb. Another strange bug that happens on the machine is the white quads that appear to be untextured. This normally happens if the texture is NULL, but the program does not render NULL textures. More guessing: Old textures are getting evicted to load new textures, thus the texture* is valid, but when rendering, all the pixel data is white. Can textures be evicted like that? All my textures first attempt to load in the default pool. If that fails, then they are loaded into the managed pool. I've only seen these bug with my old 32Mb video card. I haven't tested on other 32Mb cards. The program does run fine on a laptop that does not support hardware rendering. Any suggestions? I have to give props to Blizzard though. WoW ran fine on the computer/video card, and at a decent framerate. And my load times were quite a bit better than most other (better) computers because I had a gig of RAM. Anyways, thanks for any help. Anyone want to share any known driver bugs?

Advertisement
What happens with the reference rasterizer? If it displays the same problem, it's a bug in your code. If not, it's a bug in the drivers. Do you have the latest drivers?

Hi, I just solved the same problem on my Geforce 2 card.

If you run the SimpleSample project from the June 2006 SDK, you'll see the text appears fine. I actually based my project on that sample, and get blocky text only on this Geforce 2 card, even with the latest drivers.

I narrowed it down to a set of rendering calls and state changes I'm making. Wrapping IDirect3DStateBlock9 Capture and Apply around the calls made no difference.

Rather than trying to understand the source of driver misbehavior on this rather old card, I simply placed all my text rendering immediately after device->BeginScene. Problem solved!

Hope this helps.

Kirby

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!