IP address question

Started by
7 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 8 months ago
(I'm trying out something new...:) ) I wish to host webpages off my PC at home (connected through a DSL line). When I put http://localhost, I see the default page correctly (obviously). But when I use http://<ip address>, it doesn't display (not seeing my PC). I got the <ip address> from whatismyip.com. I think i'm behind NAT. I've tried no-ip.com's service, but doesn't work. I've seen people do this. how do they do it? thanks.
Advertisement
Windows or Linux? EDIT: or Mac? Something else?

Are you behind a router or firewall?

What web server are you using? Is there an option to enable access from outside the network that you may have missed?

What is your local IP reported as through whatismyip.com and through ipconfig?
My 4eV entry: Euro1943
Is the webserver configured to listen on your external ip? I'd imagine most webserver software is preconfigured to listen for connections from localhost only.
If ou are behind a NAT/router, the IP address you were reported is basically that of the router, not your individual PC. Your PC is using a private IP address. You'll need to forwartd port 80 on the router to your PC's private address if you want all incoming web traffic to go to your webserver.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

alright got it to work...thanks forgot to forward router port to private local ip address...

thanks!
Try ipconfig /all in a DOS prompt and look for your IP Address. If it's something like 192.168... you are most likely NAT'd and will need to change the router like Rattrap said to forward traffic on port 80 to your private IP address.
thanks acraig.

guys, do you think it's safe that, say, i open port 9999 (for another service, say, multiplayer connection games, and this will be the server), then forward that to local IP address through the router?

will my computer get hacked by your average hacker?

the PC's got firewall and antivirus...is that enough?

thanks.
Well, you're always at risk of a hacker, technically speaking. Being behind a router definately steps up the protection by denying incoming requests by default. However, since you want to server, therefore portforward to your box, all requests on port 80 go to your machine. This opens up your machine for DoS. This also will allow people to get into certain areas of your machine through loop holes. Honestly, the software firewall won't quite do anything since your behind the router, which is pretty much a hardware firewall. Anyways, about all you can do is to tighten up your security by encrypting things, getting the latest server software, fixing bugs, downloading patches, closing & reporting bugs/loopholes, etc...

Yea, that's all I got for now. At least, off the top of my head.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:will my computer get hacked by your average hacker?

Quite likely you'll see lots of attempts. The "average hacker" isn't actually even a script kiddie, but instead just one of a number of worm/bot/scripts that keep trying for known vulnerabilities on all addresses on the internet.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement