PSP Devkits

Started by
5 comments, last by Naku 17 years, 8 months ago
Heya, I've been googling around for a while for some info about this, but no luck so far. I'm working in a small - but not entirely inexperienced - game company and we're currently trying to get into PSP-development. While we've had some progress with getting our game idea accepted by sony, we're in the dark when it comes to acquiring money for the devkits. What does the devkit contain - or more specifically - will it be enough to get one devkit for all the programmers in the project? In our last project, a few programmers worked with hardware testing while the rest used emulators, and it worked out fine. Last thing I've heard is that PSP devkits are $4200 each, and getting one for each programmer in our group will just not work. Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
You can even try the inofficial SDK - it's the same but not licenced by Sony. As long, as you're testing around, its enough :D

GreetZ AVGP
There are only 10 different kind of people:The one, who understand binaryand the one, who don't.
AFAIK, psp devkit even if you can afford it, it's not for everyone.
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
You're dev kit consists of a main unit, slightly smaller than the original PS2 containing all the hardware required, UMD drive, DVD Drive for testing purposes, a Controller (a PSP without all the gubbins in it ) and a bunch of other little things (like a pedal I think it for stopping the debugger ). You also need the libries and debugger from SN Systems installing (http://www.snsystems.com/PSP/ProDG.htm) this ties in with Visual Studio. A licence file is required from SN in order to compile anything.

1 Dev kit can be used by multiple people but anyone who needs it is going to have to have a licence each. The dev kit is then put on your network so anyone can attach to it. There is also an official PSP emulator available, we used these before we got the actual dev kits, I wasn't working with the PSP when we used those though so I can't give you any infomation on them. Have a word with an account manager at Sony.
APE
You're dev kit consists of a main unit, slightly smaller than the original PS2 containing all the hardware required, UMD drive, DVD Drive for testing purposes, a Controller (a PSP without all the gubbins in it ) and a bunch of other little things (like a pedal I think it for stopping the debugger ). You also need the libries and debugger from SN Systems installing (http://www.snsystems.com/PSP/ProDG.htm) this ties in with Visual Studio. A licence file is required from SN in order to compile anything.

1 Dev kit can be used by multiple people but anyone who needs it is going to have to have a licence each. The dev kit is then put on your network so anyone can attach to it. There is also an official PSP emulator available, we used these before we got the actual dev kits, I wasn't working with the PSP when we used those though so I can't give you any infomation on them. Have a word with an account manager at Sony.
First of all, thanks for the replies so far.

AVGP: Good advice. Might be useful for learning the basics while we wait for our kits.

eng3d: That's very true, but as I said, we've had some progress with the negotiations with Sony. I'm not directly involved in that work and I'm not sure how much I should speak about it right now, so let's just leave it at that :)

Naku: Great information - one question though, do you have an estimate how much one of those licences cost? I'd like a rough estimate of the total costs involved before we get to the negotiating tables, so to speak.
Sorry, I have no idea on the costs at all, that all gets handled by someone else. I just code for them. The SySystems link I posted above gives an e-mail address you can contact that may be able to give you an estimate.
APE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement