• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sanch3x

Installing DX april 2006 on windows 2000

This topic is 4320 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I want to install the SDK but it says win2k isn't supported. I find that kind of weird so I did a bit of research and I found out through a previous thread:
Quote:
For those who still want to use the new SDK with Windows 2000. Download the Evaluation version of Admin-Studio (InstallShield) and edit the MSI-File from the DX SDK. What you've to remove are LaunchConditions and ProductID (remove these from "Behavior and Logic/Sequences"). Then installation should work (at least it works for me).
However I'm at work and I don't have access to the Admin-Studio site to modify the installer. Does anyone know where I can get the latest modified msi file? I hope someone is hosting it somewhere because I am mondo bored at work! (By the way, if this is illegal in any way let me know!) Thanks for any help, even if it's to tell me that my efforts are futile :P

Advertisement
The easy way to do it:

(1) Extract the original exe that you download using WinZip or similar tool.

(2) Extract the exe generated from (1)

(3) You now have all of the DXSDK files - just setup the compiler stuff yourself (ie library + include dirs)

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
The easy way to do it:

(1) Extract the original exe that you download using WinZip or similar tool.

(2) Extract the exe generated from (1)

(3) You now have all of the DXSDK files - just setup the compiler stuff yourself (ie library + include dirs)

I'm not extremely comfortable with the IDE... Can I set it up completly on my own or must I link to the libaries by myself in every project? I can't seem to find any way to import anything in visual C# express.

Thanks for the help though, it's appreciated!

Windows XP has been around for 5 years. You're running a really old version of Windows. I'm not surprised that Microsoft has decided to end support for developing on old versions -- the "real" solution is likely going to be to find a way to upgrade to Windows XP (be it hardware, software, and other upgrades), as Windows 2000 will start seeing less and less support.

I totally agree with you. Thing is, I'm at work. I have this crappy job for a government branch and they never have any work to give me so I end up prowling in the lounge. I figured I'd try and be a tad bit more productive and start learning MDX but I can't install it due to the OS they're still using.

I have the sdk installed at home on xp. It was pretty freakin' simple... just use the installer and all links are done for you. I'm afraid I haven't dirtied my feet enough yet to know how to go and configure my IDE to link to the DX lib and includes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!