• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bande

Ageia Question

This topic is 4469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking for a paper/article that describes the accuracy of their physics engine. All I find are articles talking about their card, why people should/should not buy it, why physics is/isn't the next hot thing etc. What I want is an educational piece explaining how accurate/realistic their physics really is.

Advertisement
If you sign-up for a developer account they have quite a large knowledge base for you to browse through and even discuss, with the Ageia staff, any problems you might be having (I am not in any way affiliated with Ageia ...I just like support.ageia.com [smile])

With regards to the accuracy though, I don't know of any documents on the subject, but my own findings have been that it is customizable. By this I mean, by default flags are set in a way designed for speed but you can tell Physx to be more accurate in its calculations by changing said flags (e.g. NX_CONTINUOUS_CD is disabled by default I think).

All the best,
ViLiO

[Edited by - ViLiO on July 26, 2006 2:44:14 PM]

I've not seen such a publically-available document. My expectation is that you can expect accuracy to be similar to other real-time rigid-body systems. I did find a high level comparision between ODE, Vortex (from Critical Mass Labs, a spinoff of the old MathEngine company), and a couple of obscure (at least to game developers) engineering engines. The following links may be somewhat useful, though they do not discuss Ageia/PhysX/NovodeX at all:

Forum note from Russ Smith, author of ODE/prior developer @ MathEngine

Wiki document comparing various physics engines over @ Stanford University

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!