• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pixel_Sticks

Questions about C# and VB.NET

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have two projects in mind that I want to work on and since I have no experience at all in either C# or VB I would like to get opinions on which would be more suited for my goals. I am looking to create a small database program to catalogue magazines so I can log them and later search under certain keywords to return the correct issue. Next is a flash card program. I am a Spanish major and I want to learn other languages as well and I want to create my own flash card system. I use one now called CueCards which is good, but I would like to make my own and have my own custom features. Judging by this can anyone tell me which would be more suited for my needs. I realize that both would probably work find, but I am looking for the one that is generally considered to have a faster work flow and perhaps easier for a beginner to get going with. Thanks

Advertisement
The two are virtually identical. C# can do a (very) few things that VB.Net can't, but the main difference is the syntax. Compare:

(Visual Basic.Net)

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Dim RSS2HTML As RSS2HTMLScoutLib.RSS2HTMLScout
RSS2HTML = New RSS2HTMLScoutLib.RSS2HTMLScout

RSS2HTML.ItemsPerFeed = 5 ' display only 5 latest items

' ##### we can add more than one RSS feed #########
RSS2HTML.AddFeed("http://bytescout.com/news.xml", 180) ' update every 180 minutes (3 hours)

RSS2HTML.Execute()

RSS2HTML.SaveOutputToFile("Output.html") ' save output to HTML file
End Sub

or
(C#)

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
RSS2HTMLScoutLib.RSS2HTMLScout RSS2HTML = new RSS2HTMLScoutLib.RSS2HTMLScout();

RSS2HTML.ItemsPerFeed = 5; // limit 5 latest items per feed

RSS2HTML.AddFeed ("http://bytescout.com/news.xml", 180); // update every 180 minutes (3 hours)
RSS2HTML.Execute();

RSS2HTML.SaveOutputToFile("c:\\RSS2HTMLOutput.html");
}

(Code samples copied from a bytescout.com tutorial.)

Microsoft mainly made VB.Net to help VB6 users transition to .Net; they intended C# to be the main .Net language. That doesn't really matter, though, because the two are basically the same thing from a technical standpoint.

I personally think C#'s syntax looks much more clean, but use whichever you prefer.

[Edited by - nagromo on July 26, 2006 3:10:23 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!