3D models Vertex!

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I wanna use 3D models in my game. I use Cal3D API for this reason. I wanna know that my models must have how many vertex ? For example, do you know main models in DOOM 2 or Deltaforce 3 had how many vertex ? When i use 4000 vertex for one model,the game run very slowly!!! I want run my game in old graphic card such as ATI Radeon 7000.
--Mojtaba--
Advertisement
4000 is not that bad at all. It is most likely not the model itself (or its vertex count) that is slowing you down, but instead the way that you are rendering the model (for example, glVertex() calls in OpenGL are not the way to go).

Also, you may want to clarify how much "slowdown" you are experiencing, as it might be a non-issue.
Doom 2 used bitmap sprites, not 3D models ;-)
Anyways, 4000 should be quite normal, 2000 would be better, but this is certainly not the problem of your slowdown.
I am not familiar with Cal3d, but I saw an interactive demo there - can you test, whether it runs with normal speed on your computer. If it does, you can try to analyze the source code of your application versus the demo.

Lauris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement