In dire need of experienced cooks!

Started by
20 comments, last by GKW 17 years, 8 months ago
lol, I misread the title of this thread as " In dire need of experienced crooks!". [lol]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by smart_idiot
Probably because he can only cook so many at once, and if he used butter for the whole duration it would burn and taste not so great.

which is why IHOP would use Oil instead butter. They probably taste "better" with butter, but if you're trying to emulate the IHOP experience, they use oil.

What kind of oil? Like I said, we would get different kinds all the time. Canola Oil would probably work best but I've used Corn and Vegetable as well. Vegetable is probably the mildest "flavor" but Canola kind of fares better with sweeter items fried.

Tony
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Here you go:

BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

Do you have any idea how much I love bread pudding? [inlove]
Do you have any idea how much I love french toast? [inlove]
Do you have any idea how much I love you right now? [inlove]

My many thanks to both sun and shadow!
I could feel my arteries attempt to make a break for freedom from just looking at that picture[totally].
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
Here you go:

BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

Do you have any idea how much I love bread pudding? [inlove]
Do you have any idea how much I love french toast? [inlove]
Do you have any idea how much I love you right now? [inlove]

My many thanks to both sun and shadow!

[lol] You're quite welcome, I hope it turns out well for you. [grin]

*subtly reminds people that you can express your appreciation with our nifty rating system* [wink]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Don't use milk. Use buttermilk. Something about the protein in the egg needing some fat to bind to and that makes it more cake-like. I don't claim to understand it, it just works. Also if you are using fresh bread don't soak it that long. Fresh bread will absorb the custard much faster than old bread. If the custard soaks all theway through the bread you will have to cook it longer and you will likely burn the outside by the time the inside is cooked. Use a nonstick pan and grease it with butter. The coloring in the picture suggests that the grill they were cookedon was too hot.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
texas toast is really just a name for the bread. its generally thicker then your normal sandwich cut. many brands have their version of texas toast
*subtly reminds people that you can express your appreciation with our nifty rating system* [wink]

Mercy me! I thought I'd rated you long ago. My appologies for the oversight.

Quote:Original post by Override
I could feel my arteries attempt to make a break for freedom from just looking at that picture.[totally]

I once had a teacher who said, "If you can hear your arteries hardening, you know it's gotta be good!" [grin]
Quote:Original post by smart_idiot
I'm almost entirely sure the process of making french toast is:

• Mix eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and whatever else you want.
  • Saturate bread in the resulting mixture, then let excess drip off.
  • Fry the resulting mass.
  • Apply an unhealthy amount of syrup.
  • Eat.
  • Leave the mess for someone else to clean up.

Don't saturate the bread - it will cause it to break in small parts. Cyril Lignac (one of our Cooking Chief) don't mix the milk with the eggs. Instead, he warm the milk (with some vanilla sugar) separately. Right before he toast the bread, he put the bread in the egg-based melange (but he don't saturate the bread with it) and then put the bread in the warm milk. Then he toast the bread (1 min on each side) in a previously heated and buttered1 pan.

French toats (or, as we call them, "pain perdu" (lost bread)) can taste very good with salt and pepper (forget about sugar and syrup. Sugar is for kids [grin]), a thin slice of italian jam and some salad (or tomatoes + mozzarella).

For the bread, I suggest you to choose either a wheat bread (no sugar) or a Viennese bread (I don't know the exact English term for this one; it uis made with some additional sugar or honney; another possibility is to use a brioche). It can taste vary good with raisin bread too.

To accompany the sugar-based French tost, you can fry some peaches: take one peach per person, remove the skin, cut each peach in 8 semi-quarters (remove the core). Put some butter in a pan, fry the peaches (1 or 2 min, take care of the butter projections (its matrices are not well-formed, it can project itself on you too)) and put some sugar on them (not much - the idea is to help caramelization), turn the fire down and let the thing mijotate for 2 or 3 minutes. Serve hot on the French toast.

Quote:Original post by GKW
Don't use milk. Use buttermilk. Something about the protein in the egg needing some fat to bind to and that makes it more cake-like.

Unless your milk is 100% fat free (but then, call it colored water, not milk), you'll find that thare is some fat in milk. Guess what: we use milk to produce butter and cheese :)

1: little trick: you can add a very little spoon of oil in your butter. It will avoid the butter to burn. Of course, you may also use some non-burning butter too.

Good appetite [smile]
now ^^^^THAT^^^^ sounds like good french toast.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement