Very New stuff-HELP

Started by
6 comments, last by maxpenguin 17 years, 9 months ago
So yesterday I bought "game programming for teens". I can do do some basic stuff but not that much. My freind and I want to make a game based on our summer camp that we go to. lol A few questions 1. What is a good program to make the map for our camp. right now i know some blender or whats a good program? 2. Is it hard to make a game online so alot of ppl can play? O also i am using blitz3d Thats about it. thank you Exile
Advertisement
Answer to number 2: I would say yes if you don't have that much expierence.

Chad
well i assumed so but if any of you could post link or places on this is or other on how to do some of this stuff. That would help alot

Thank you
If you want to make a mock-up of your camp, it would be easiest to make a mod of an existing game.
I am with Wiggin there actaully.

Also,
maybe this could help also. How much programming expierence do you have? What language(s)? Just some simple questions to ask you, to get some ideas.

Chad
you mean take a already constructed map and mod it? My camp is fairly big maybe if you walked across it, it would take about 10 mintues.

Also I know about 1% more than nothing about prgramming, as i said i just bought that book yesterday.

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.
we want it to be like WOW style

i know are hopes are high but hopefully we can get this
Exile
Exilekiller, just to give you an idea about programming:

After a week of programming with the same language that came with the book you bought, I could do a simple text adventure game with almost no real programming in it. It was made entirely out of if statements.

Years later, and with somehow not having programmed since the above:
After about a week of programing in Python, I started working on an actual parser so that I could make a REAL text adventure with actual programming in it. After about a week of researching parsing, I finally finished the first version my parser. Now I'm trying to work out how to use classes so I can have different rooms and items and an inventory.

In case you didn't notice, I have made no mention of internet or graphics. I have about three weeks of experience total and I've never even thought of either. I'm not suggesting that you slow down, I'm just noting that it might not come so easy. Your original post makes it sound like, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you have no experience and yet are planning to make your first project dealing with things that you'll need background knowledge for.
I don't mean to be negative here, but programming a game (assuming first person, with multiplayer) is an exceedingly large amount of work - especially when you are not familiar with programming.

I third Wiggin's suggestion of making a mod.

Take a game (say, Half-Life 2), and create the map of your "camp". Create custom textures, that sort of thing. Then take the HL-2 SDK, and start trying to add things on to the Half-Life 2 game. Like for example, swap the crowbar for a marshmallow roasting stick or somthing. Then give your friends a copy of your mod, and play away.

I think that is much closser to possible, although hard and still allot of work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement