[web] Which language to use for a BBG? (PHP,ASP etc)

Started by
4 comments, last by sarahcovenant 17 years, 8 months ago
I'm working with a programmer who has formal training on my BBW. We haven't decided on the language yet. The thing is, I do not know any web dev languages and will be learning as we go along. The programmer would be advising me on whatever language i pick. What should I use? PHP? ASP? JSP? JAVA? The most common should be PHP right? Any chance of it lagging badly? Which is the most versatile and most likely not to run into a brick wall during development? I'm making a browser based wargame like Utopia/Earth2025/Dominion/Ogame etc. They're mostly on PHP right? I know the general advice is to "go with what you're best at", well, since I suck at them all equally right now I think its better I go with what will not get me stuck in a bottleneck! THANKS a lot!!
Advertisement
Do you know any languages?

PHP is the most like traditional C coding, and probably the easiest to "learn as you go."
I would say that most BBG are in PHP. Which is also free and can be used on any platform. Where as with ASP you can only develop on a windows server. Also personally I have found PHP to be the easiest of the server side scripting languages. As far as lag, that will mostly depend on your server and internet connection.
anything except ASP is fine (the old version of ASP that is, ASP.NET is perfectly fine), normal java isn't a good idea, jsp is usable. as is perl and php
PHP is reasonably simple to get started with and should do what you need; it's also very widely used in existing browser-based games and there's a lot of open-sourced code out there you can take a look at. You should definately talk to the programmer you'll be working with though - you might not have any existing experience, but you should take his or her preferences and experience into consideration when making your choice.

Any of the languages you've mentioned would be capable of creating such a game, and through CGI you could always use something like C# or C++ if you really wanted to, although you may find less resources out there for taking such a route.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by konForce
Do you know any languages?

PHP is the most like traditional C coding, and probably the easiest to "learn as you go."

I have made on-rail shooters and flying shooters (airplane shooters) in Flash MX with Actionscript but thats the end of my programming knowledge.

Thanks for all the advice. I think PHP would be a safe bet. Thanks a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement