Securing data

Started by
7 comments, last by Grant1219 17 years, 8 months ago
How would you go about scrambling a .bmp file so it cant be read? I need to do this somehow so people with my game client cant edit or steal art. If scrabling it isn't how its usually done then please tell me the way most people do this. Thanks
Advertisement
Isn't it a bit pointless though? They'll just take screen snaps at runtime.
Some ideas:

1) Custom image format. Easy to reverse if someone really wants the data, but it's a start.
2) Encryption. This can be very hard to reverse, but you have to keep the key somewhere, so someone who wants to steal it, can find it. It's a bit hard to find an encryption key inside a complete application, but it's possible.
3) Custom compression format. This can be better than encryption, but remember not to save the image, in case to load it from disk (no caching). Decompress and load it from memory directly.

One note though. If you are using OpenGL and the bmp is going to be used as a texture, i don't think there is any chance to hide it from a potential "thief". This is because programs like GLIntercept can extract for you all the textures an application uses. In Direct3D i don't know if it's possible, but i imagine that there must be something similar.

HellRaiZer
HellRaiZer
Look into zlib and compress your files into arhcives. It is not full proof protection but it will work well enough.
Thanks for your help. I checked out zlib and it looks pretty good but is it compatible with Allergo?
It should be. Also look into physicsfs/physfs.
Would it be illegal to use Quake's .pak file and use PhysicsFS to read the data? That seems to be an option unless Quake copyrighted their .pak format.
Quote:Original post by Grant1219
Would it be illegal to use Quake's .pak file and use PhysicsFS to read the data? That seems to be an option unless Quake copyrighted their .pak format.

Quake3's pak format is not proprietory and can be read using winrar.
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
Well, it seems HellRaiZer's encryption method seems the best way. The only problem is I'm not sure how to do it. I could probably make something that encrypts and reads back text documents but bitmaps are totally different. I guess I'll just search for tutorials on that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement