• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sarahcovenant

Random chance to miss in RPG (tohit%) - Really needed?

This topic is 4456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can we do without a percentage to hit chances? Instead build a game around 100% to hit all the time? Would this kind of game be fun? Are random misses vital to a RPG game? What about an MMORPG or Online RPG? I asked some players and all of them says that RPGs will get really boring if there was no randomn chance to miss. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
Most RPG's and by extension MMORPG's are based on old formulas, even the most modern of RPG's can be traced back to D n D tactics, tactics based on rolls of the dice.

I commend people who take a step in the right direction by being more original with their RPG's, and removing the %hit chance would be a step in the right direction.

Really high miss chances are stupid, frustrating, and alienate most players.

However, randomness is, to a certain degree, fun. Having the mega-super-boss that
delivers about a google of hyper-lethal damage with each hit MISS is a delightful experience, and I, for one, don't think it should be removed.

Theoretically, to maximize player fun, you could make a balanced game that had no miss chance for PCs (but a miss chance for mosters) and no critical hit chance for monsters (but a critical chance for PCs). I've considered this option myself, but my current conclusion is that the player will feel more gratified by the game's meta-world if all PCs and NPCs follow the same underlying set of basic rules.

Individual mileage may vary.

However, I think that a min-maxed-for-attacking character versus a min-maxed-for-dodging character should never have more than about a 10% miss rate. I would find a higher frequency of misses irritating if I'd worked that hard on my character's ability to strike accurately, and a lower dodge rate than that irritating if I'd worked that hard on my character's dodging abilities.

Guild Wars doesn't have a chance to miss (except under special circumstances such as when the attacker has been blinded); it just has lots of damage reduction and ways to interupt attacks and spells. It is certainly possible to build a fun RPG combat system that doesn't have a chance to hit. However, whether having a chance to hit is a good thing or not really depends on the other features of the combat system. There is no universal answer to the question, and frankly I don't think its worth worrying about too much. If you like having a chance to hit then include it in your combat system, and if not, don't. It's the details, the level of complexity, and the balance of a combat system that determine whether it is good or not, not inclusion or exclusion of one specific mechanic.

Quote:
Original post by Timus
Most RPG's and by extension MMORPG's are based on old formulas, even the most modern of RPG's can be traced back to D n D tactics, tactics based on rolls of the dice.

I commend people who take a step in the right direction by being more original with their RPG's, and removing the %hit chance would be a step in the right direction.

Personally, I hate the tohit% chance because I don't know its purpose. What does it add to gameplay? Plus the annoying miss-miss-miss-miss-miss at 60% chance to hit that players might experience.

The responses I got from some gamers (with regards to turn based browser RPGs) were:

1) It adds excitement to combat.
2) Its like player poker with fate. If there is no chance to fail, there is no fun.
3) It allows you to use your ability to judge if you could take down a monster/player or not within the time limit or turns (for BBGs)
4) There is no fun when players know exactly if they are going to win a battle or not.

I don't know man, will i be making the biggest mistake of my life by not having tohit% chances?

Quote:
I don't know man, will i be making the biggest mistake of my life by not having tohit% chances?
No, of course not. Build your vision of fun in your mind and stick to it when you build it in the world. :)

'Sides, that's what testing is for.

Personally, though, I think that a >LOW< miss chance that's entirely dependent on defender's skill:

A. Is realistic
B. Rewards players who successfully dodge
C. Adds a gambling aspect to the game's battle system. And I think we all know how addictive gambling is, stupid though it may be on some level.

Quote:
Original post by sarahcovenant
Can we do without a percentage to hit chances? Instead build a game around 100% to hit all the time? Would this kind of game be fun?

Please, get rid of it. While you're at it, get rid of randomness altogether and make a game that actually requires some skill. Please for the love of god abolish yourself from all of the wrongdoings that D&D and Final Fantasy have done to games.

It's almost been totally removed from my game. It's almost always 100, but some character's have it set to 0 so that the player can't attempt to kill them. Some people frown on that since it takes away some of the 'realism', but I'd rather avoid a case where the player could kill someone that is essential to the storyline (like in Morrowind.)

I agree with what has been said. It's quite annoying to have an awesome character and still miss 75% of the time.

Guest Anonymous Poster

When you say you want to have to hit chances removed, are you making a distinction between hitting a target, and actually causing damage?

I always considered the D&D chance to hit percentage the ability for a character to hit and cause damage to a target. A better armor rating simply means someone is more difficult to hurt with a physical attack. Its a combination of agility, physical and magical protection, resistance to physical damage, parrying and blocking ability, etc.

For instance, a character's to hit chance against a brick wall may be rather low, but this would be because a brick wall is fairly hard to cause any significant damage to with a sword or fist, and not hard to actually strike. Someone with a high sword skill may also have a high armor rating, due to their ability to parry attacks.

Maybe the name just needs to be changed to something more indicative of what you want it to represent.

Random hit points are like a swing and a miss with a punch. It can and does happen, and just as in real life, depending on the skill of your character, it may or may not happen often. The only way to combat this would be to change the entire combat system completely, but most current rpg players would not like that (for the most part, rpg players have slower coordination skills than gamers that play sport or fighting games that require quick reaction times). They are not really in it for the battles, but rather the storyline and character progession.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!