Game Development Questions

Started by
2 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 17 years, 8 months ago
Some friends and I have developed the ambition to make a game so we started learning C++, Win32 etc. I have leart a good amount of C++ and the basics of Win32 and I am currently working on DirectX (I intend to go back and learn advanced concepts for Win32 after I finish DirectX) and I was wondering since the book I am reading does not entail very much information on the topic, what API and/or language will have to be studied in order to optimize networking (I am not looking for the easiest, but the best) furthermore, what graphics programs would you suggest purchasing (preferably below 100 dollars) to create models maps etc. Also I would appreciate suggestions on whether OpenGL or Direct3D would be better for rendering with the graphic programs that you mentioned, which is better in general, and if it would be possible and beneficial to find or even purchase a rendering engine for the game, because that would save a great deal of time for us. I know I've asked several broad questions, but any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. [Edited by - NeXuS15 on July 27, 2006 1:26:12 AM]
Advertisement
For adding network look into TCP/IP programming.

Some 3d modeling programs I can suggest for making stuff for your game would be blender or milkshape 3d.

The API of OpenGL or DirectX does not really matter what model format you use; you can make a loader for either API.
Any idea where I can find a tutorial on TCP/IP preferably geared towards game development?
Quote:Original post by NeXuS15
Any idea where I can find a tutorial on TCP/IP preferably geared towards game development?

You are probably better getting a book on the subject of TCP/IP programming or Winsock. There is not too much information online about it. There is some scattered but not enough if you ask me.

Geared towards game development is even harder to really say, you probably will find little tutorials online about that. I suggest you try Google, like I said it's quite scattered.

This is a somewhat good tutorial http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/, also look around Multiplayer and Network Programming forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement