• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deavik

Using std::bind2nd with my own functions

This topic is 4318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just for fun I was trying to write a simple tree class, and since I didn't code any iterators for it, I have a member find_node function for which I need std::binder2nd's functionality. The function is basically like this: bool find_node(bool (*func)(const node_attribute&), node_ptr& out_ptr); Obviously bind2nd can only give me new function objects, so I tried bool find_node(std::unary_function< node_attribute, bool > func, node_ptr& out_ptr); but in the latter case how do I call the function denoted by the function object? Or is there another way? Please tell me if mre info is required, also. Thanks! [smile]

Advertisement
std::binary/unary_function is used to make functional objects adaptable functions. They only contain nested type aliases, there are not polymorphic types either.

This is what you want:

template < typename Predicate >
bool find_node(Predicate cmp, node_ptr& out_ptr);

Now you can use it with any C++ callable entity, free-functions, static member functions, bound non-static member functions, functional obects, etc, etc.

When you need a hint like this about how to work with standard library stuff, usually you can get it from looking at how standard library pieces work with each other. :) (See std::for_each for example.)

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
When you need a hint like this about how to work with standard library stuff, usually you can get it from looking at how standard library pieces work with each other. :) (See std::for_each for example.)

I actually did, I had looked at find_if's definition in stl_algo.h and sure enough it had a template< typename _Predicate >. As I wrote before, I didn't imagine you could template any callable entity so I thought there must be some black magic there [smile]. Pity I didn't even try it out though; but anyway thanks for the tips, guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!