• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Finding a compiler

This topic is 4232 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started game programming and I already have DirectX SDK installed but to use it i need Visual C/C++ 6.0 compiler or .NET version. I cannot use higher or lower versions. I have searched for hours but I cannot find a free download site. I was hoping someone could give me the URL of a microsoft download site for that version. I am learning how to program games by using Jim Admas book, Programming Roleplaying Games with DirectX second edition, and it only shows how to use Visual C/C++ 6.0 or .NET

Advertisement
Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks are free. I believe Code::Blocks is the most highly recommended of the two.

Quote:
Original post by Shadow_Hyrul
I already said 6.0 or .Net 2003. I only have windows 98 and i cant upgrade, but thanks anyway

Nowhere did you say "2003". Anyway, VS .Net 2003 will not run on Windows 98.

You either need to get VC++ 6.0, which you will have to pay for as it was never free, or update your OS.

Quote:
Original post by Shadow_Hyrul
I already said 6.0 or .Net 2003. I only have windows 98 and i cant upgrade, but thanks anyway

Please, please don't use 6.0. It's old and pre-standard, and will only stunt your code.

Neither .NET 2003 nor .NET 2005 is free. Sorry. You'll have to either buy them, upgrade your OS so you can use 2005 Express, or use a free compiler and IDE - which will mean translating the book's instructions yourself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement