• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
As-12

OpenGL Helping with my first projects.

This topic is 4496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im only 14 but I applied to the national software contest. Even I dont have much experince. But I will try my best. Well I need a help with my Map.I dont think Im gonna make 10k over functions call with display list or normal calling . So I plan using vertex arrays. But I understand that vertex array can be fast for some system but some system that doesn't support may cause result in opposite way. So Anyone can give me an ideas How to mapping a big map such as town or city in a cheap way? Im still new to OpenGL. So if anyone would like to help me more please add me by MSN . codenameAs-12@hotmail.com

Advertisement
Grab a book, I like Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition. Just make sure its the 2nd edition one. This will show you more of a professional type build instead of a learn and junk method most give ya.

GL

If you limit your choices to Display lists or Va's then it depends.

If the model is static (Ie, vertices won't change for the duration of the progie) then DL's are way better.

If you plan to do some morphing or animations then Va's are better.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!