• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
orryx

A web of info

This topic is 4471 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make a database in which objects are related to each other. I was wondering what the best approach for drawing these connections would be? Should each object contain a list of pointers to other objects that they are related to? Or should there be some set of lists for the database mapping out the data, then using these lists related objects could be found?

Advertisement
"A database in which objects are related to each other" is the definition of a relational database. I'm not sure exactly what your application is or what you are using this database for. So without that information, I would suggest you utilize already existing technologies (SQL). Depending on your programming language (I assume C or C++), there are many options available to you. SQLite is a great library.

If you are wanting to create your own database system from scratch, there are tons of books and resources out there. I have never gone this route, so I cannot recommend anything. Maybe more information on your problem would be helpful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!