Survey: Are you using managed DirectX or unmanaged DirectX?

Started by
42 comments, last by S1CA 17 years, 8 months ago
Both, but my main pet project is in MDX.

MDX is awesome, frankly.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Even though maaged has a few nicer features, I believe unmanaged is the way to go when considering portability. c++ was always designed to be easier to read, which, in my opinion is more important than some of the nice features you'll get from managed, especially if you are working in a team or expect others to interpret your code. C. Bloom has a very nice article about this subject which I think you might find interesting. Not to mention that there was a similar discussion on gamedev which you can find here.
Quote:Original post by mike_ix
I believe unmanaged is the way to go when considering portability. c++ was always designed to be easier to read, which, in my opinion is more important than some of the nice features you'll get from managed, especially if you are working in a team or expect others to interpret your code.

I challenge you to find a competent C++ programmer that cannot read most of C# right off the bat. Seriously, I have no idea where you come off claiming C++ is the epitomy of easily read code.

And for portability, we are talking about DirectX. DirectX isn't portable, whether unmanaged or not. If you are talking about language portability, then .Net can run on Linux, Windows, and Macs. And you can use another graphics API/engine that takes care of the graphics portability too. For example, Tao.OpenGl or OgreDotNet both will run on all of those platforms.

EDIT: Sorry, guess I should answer the survey. I use MDX in general, but right now I am trying OgreDotNet.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
I use both of them myself, I'm crazy and have several projects in the works at once. They are really largely the same in terms of ease of use and performance in my experience. Just use whatever language you are most comfortable with.
Unmanaged.

I have no problem with reference counts, using pointers only when they refer to valid data, or freeing memory that I've allocated. It's just a matter of discipline.

I learned programming by writing assembly language routines for embedded systems that were burned in to ROM. The only debugger that I had was an oscillosope probe attached to an I/O pin. You learn to really think through what you're doing before you write a line of code when you're working in an environment like that.

Today, I'd even argue that this sort of discipline is becoming less relative when writing PC applications. You use whatever tools you can to be the most productive. If managing memory is troublesome for you, then use a managed language. If the DX sample code written in C# is more understandable, then go that route. There's no sense beating yourself to death over mechanics when there are alternatives available that put an end your development headaches.

Quote:Original post by Promit

MDX is awesome, frankly.

Frankly, I Guess that sums up my thoughts quite nicely [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
MDX here.

I think I'm either addicted to C# or too lazy to get back to C++ and all the discipline involved ;)
Interesting results so far! I am glad to see that I am not the only one who seems to like both unmanaged and managed (although I have yet to really code anything with MDX).

As for the cross-platform abilities of MDX: I have heard rumours (if I understand things correctly) that they might create some sort of managed environment to run on the Xbox360. Can anyone confirm this? Is this what XNA is?
Quote:Original post by remigius
Quote:Original post by Promit

MDX is awesome, frankly.

Frankly, I Guess that sums up my thoughts quite nicely [wink]

Ditto
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Unmanaged here.
Mainly because I want to do something without having to get used to C# first and I´m getting really used to C++. But I think I´ll give C# and MDX a try definitely, don´t know when though. If usage of unmanaged DirectX seems cumbersome to you I´d give managed a try at once. I actually like unmanaged really well for now ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement