Survey: Are you using managed DirectX or unmanaged DirectX?

Started by
42 comments, last by S1CA 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Moe
Interesting results so far! I am glad to see that I am not the only one who seems to like both unmanaged and managed (although I have yet to really code anything with MDX).

As for the cross-platform abilities of MDX: I have heard rumours (if I understand things correctly) that they might create some sort of managed environment to run on the Xbox360. Can anyone confirm this? Is this what XNA is?

You'd be correct Moe. That's what part of XNA is striving for. I say part because XNA is so much more than just providing .NET Framework builds on the Xbox360.

Oh, and to answer the survey, I use MDX 2.0. Since I got VS 2005 SE, I've been using that, and I haven't looked back. I've always hated writing Win32 code to get a simple window up and running. ;)
Advertisement
Managed.

I find it better not because of the clean design of the managed API (which is much better than the brain-dead COM one), but because of C#. I don't want to start a flamewar, so let's just say that C++ is extremely ugly, unclean and inelegant. Practically useful and in ways powerful, yes, but it should not be used in 87%1 of the situations in which people use it.

And no, C# is not the holy grail of languages either, but it *is* a demonstration of a relatively clean C-based language. If C++ is your only forte, seriously consider learning other languages (e.g. LISP, OCaml, Ruby, Python)--you'll be shocked at how efficient and fun programming can be.

EDIT:
Quote:I believe unmanaged is the way to go when considering portability. c++ was always designed to be easier to read, which, in my opinion is more important than some of the nice features you'll get from managed, especially if you are working in a team or expect others to interpret your code.

C++ is the absolute worst when it comes to readability. Try reading some truly powerful generic code--i.e. templates--, it just makes your head spin. And don't get me started about the error messages2.

As for portability, no. Unless you're talking about XBox kind of portability, then yes. If you're aiming for cross-platform development, use OpenGL. Or better, use an existing engine, like OGRE (whose C# port, Axiom, is portable and cross-platform).

1Figure made up on the spot

2And I'm not talking about standard C++ library error messages and STLFilt and all that. I'm talking about general error messages when generic programming or template metaprogramming is involved. Talk about rape.

c) Unmanaged open GL
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
As for .NET being portable... it is. To a point. XBox doesn't have .NET. XBox360 doesn't have it yet. PS2 doesn't. PS3 likely doesn't, and likely won't. I'm betting Wii won't either. Add onto that, that until recently PCs didn't have .NET, meaning most developers have a large non managed codebase they're not just going to throw away. So, no, we don't use managed code, and likely won't for quite some time. I imagine many non PC only game studios are in a similar boat.
At this very second? Neither. But if I was in a pinch, I'd go for MDX. [smile]
Unmanaged now, but I am learning still. I plan to learn C# soon and try it with managed.
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
MDX FTW! [smile]
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
I don't even have to say anything, everyone here knows i'm MDX :D
Interesting thread, Moe. I have been using unmanaged DX, but as you I would like to try MDX in some projects.

Taking advantage of this issue, I would like to ask:

1) Can MDX do everything unmanaged DX does? For each unmanaged DX function/method is there a correspondent MDX function/method?

2) Is there some best-seller game coded in MDX? Which consecrated development studios are using MDX?
Quote:Original post by adriano_usp
1) Can MDX do everything unmanaged DX does? For each unmanaged DX function/method is there a correspondent MDX function/method?

I would like to know the answer to this one too, now that you mention it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement