• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zerovoid

a little problem w/ c++ strings

This topic is 6827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The line "while (x < string::npos)"... shouldn't that really be "while (x > string::npos)"... if you're using STL, npos is -1, and the smallest x could ever be is 0, so I can't see how the code as you've written it would even enter the while loop at all.

Is that a typo, or am I missing something?

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Advertisement
as far as i know, npos is part of the c++ string class and has nothing to do with the STL. npos is just the end of the string, and it enters the loop fine, and for some reason, i can get it to execute the text.replace(x, y-x+1, s) once, but after that it hangs the program, so i'm not sure exactly what to think.

Are you sure "text" is terminated with a '\n'? Otherwise the for loop will not terminate for some time. In fact, you should get a GPF. Consider a string that looks like this.

I am a fish.\n
// I am a comment.

After the first two lines, x will point to the first slash and y will equal string::npos. Remember that y will never equal -1, because you're using unsigned integers.

oi oi

after many hours trying to get this to work, i finally found the problem... on the for loop, i was including one character too many for the new string 's', i was making it end after the newline, instead of before, so i changed that, and it works perfectly now... its funny how such a time-consuming problem can be traced to a miscalculation of 1

thanks for respond though...

Would someone be so friendly as to tell me why they think this code when compiled and ran, causes the program to go on forever?

x = text.find( "//" );
y = text.find( "\n", x + 2 );

while( x < string::npos )
{
for( unsigned int z = x; z <= y; z++ ) s += text[z];

s = GetTextLine( s, COMMENT_COLOR );
text.replace( x, y-x+1, s );

s = "";
x = text.find( "//", y + 1 );
y = text.find( "\n", x + 2 );
}

btw, this is just the snippet causing it, and if i comment out the line 'text.replace( x, y-x+1, s);' everything works fine...

any input on the matter would be very much appreciated

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!