IDirectSound8::CreateSoundBuffer() - Invalid call?

Started by
14 comments, last by InsaneBoarder234 17 years, 8 months ago
I've just finished writing some classes to provide access to basic sound playing features via DirectSound but I've run into a problem with creating secondary sound buffers via IDirectSound8::CreateSoundBuffer(). I'm not sure if my code is missing something or what because I've not really used DirectSound much so I've put together a minimal example of the code that produces the error, can anyone see anything wrong with this code?

//Note: I do check all function return values and everything goes fine
//      up until the call to IDirectSound8::CreateSoundBuffer()
LPDIRECTSOUND8 lpds = 0;
LPDIRECTSOUNDBUFFER lpdsb = 0;
DSBUFFERDESC dsbd;
WAVEFORMATEX wfmt;
HWND hWnd; //The application window handle, created elsewhere

//Create the DirectSound8 object and set the cooperative level
DirectSoundCreate8(0, &lpds, 0);
lpds->SetCooperativeLevel(hWnd, DSSCL_EXCLUSIVE);

//Here I call a function that uses winmm.lib functions (mmio*)
//to load a wav file into memory, everything works fine here
//and dsbd and wfmt are filled with information describing the
//loaded file.
LoadWavFile("w1.wav", &dsbd, &wfmt);

/*
dsbd now contains the following data
    dwSize = 36
    dwFlags = DSBCAPS_CTRLPAN | DSBCAPS_CTRLVOLUME
    dwBufferBytes = 1976
    dwReserved = 0
    lpwfxFormat = &wfmt
    guid3DAlgorithm = GUID_NULL

wfmt now contains the following data
    wFormatTag = 85
    nChannels = 1
    nSamplesPerSec = 11025
    nAvgBytesPerSec = 2000
    nBlockAlign = 1
    wBitsPerSample = 0
    cbSize = 12
*/

//Create the LPDIRECTSOUNDBUFFER object - Code fails here
//and returns DSERR_INVALIDCALL
lpds->CreateSoundBuffer(&dsbd, &lpdsb, 0);

The only thing I can think of is I remember having to set a sound format or something when I've used DirectSound in the past but unfortunately I don't have any of my old code or books as a reference at the moment, and I haven't used DirectSound for a while so I could be thinking of some other sound lib that I've used at some point. [Edited by - InsaneBoarder234 on July 28, 2006 6:57:37 AM]
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
Advertisement
Has anyone got absolutely any idea whats wrong here?

If you install the debug runtimes, they should tell you what's wrong. You need the same SDK version as your DirectX version (or later), and goto control pannel -> DirectX, and enable the debug runtimes for DirectSound.
Thanks Evil Steve, I've enabled the debug runtimes but I'm not sure how to get at the debug output now.

You should see it in the debug output window. What IDE are you using?
VC++ 2003, and I'm not getting any output from DirectSound in the debug window.

'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\C++\Test\Debug\Test.exe', Symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dsound.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\lpk.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\usp10.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTFIME.IME', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdmaud.drv', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintrust.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msasn1.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imagehlp.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdmaud.drv''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdmaud.drv', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.drv', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\midimap.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.'Test.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll''Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ksuser.dll', No symbols loaded.The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x8f4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xf0c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xa90) has exited with code 0 (0x0).The program '[2548] Test.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

This is from the minimal code that I posted in the first post, it still fails with DSERR_INVALIDCALL on the call to IDirectSound8::CreateSoundBuffer().

Do you have the latest SDK? What version are you using?
I'm using the June 2006 SDK, and just to clarify I have enabled the debug runtimes for both DirectSound(displayed as Audio on the control panel applet) and DirectMusic and turned the output up to the maximum.

The exact code I'm using to reproduce the problem outside of my main project is this:

#pragma comment(lib, "dsound.lib")#include <dsound.h>#include <sstream>LRESULT CALLBACK WinProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	if(msg == WM_DESTROY)	{		PostQuitMessage(0);		return 0;	}	else	{		return DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);	}}int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd){	//-----------------	// Create the window	//-----------------	WNDCLASSEX wc;	HWND hwnd;	wc.cbClsExtra = 0;	wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);	wc.cbWndExtra = 0;	wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH);	wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(0, IDC_ARROW);	wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(0, IDI_APPLICATION);	wc.hIconSm = LoadIcon(0, IDI_APPLICATION);	wc.hInstance = GetModuleHandle(0);	wc.lpfnWndProc = WinProc;	wc.lpszClassName = "DSTEST";	wc.lpszMenuName = 0;	wc.style = CS_OWNDC;	if(!RegisterClassEx(&wc))	{		return 0;	}	hwnd = CreateWindowEx(0, "DSTEST", "DirectSound Test",                              WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_VISIBLE, CW_USEDEFAULT,                              CW_USEDEFAULT, 400, 400, 0, 0, GetModuleHandle(0), 0);	if(!hwnd)	{		return 0;	}	//-----------------	// Minimal DS Create Buffer test	//-----------------	LPDIRECTSOUND8 lpds = 0;	LPDIRECTSOUNDBUFFER lpdsb = 0;	DSBUFFERDESC dsbd;	WAVEFORMATEX wfmt;	if(FAILED(DirectSoundCreate8(0, &lpds, 0))	{		return 0;	}	if(FAILED(lpds->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DSSCL_NORMAL))	{		return 0;	}	dsbd.dwSize = 36;	dsbd.dwFlags = 0;	dsbd.dwBufferBytes = 1976;	dsbd.dwReserved = 0;	dsbd.lpwfxFormat = &wfmt;	dsbd.guid3DAlgorithm = GUID_NULL;	wfmt.wFormatTag = 85;	wfmt.nChannels = 1;	wfmt.nSamplesPerSec = 11025;	wfmt.nAvgBytesPerSec = 2000;	wfmt.nBlockAlign = 1;	wfmt.wBitsPerSample = 0;	wfmt.cbSize = 0;	HRESULT hr = lpds->CreateSoundBuffer(&dsbd, &lpdsb, 0);	if(FAILED(hr))	{		std::stringstream ss;		ss<<"Error creating sound buffer: "<<hr;		MessageBox(hwnd, ss.str().c_str(), "Error", MB_OK);		lpds->Release();		DestroyWindow(hwnd);		return 0;	}	MessageBox(hwnd, "Sound buffer created successfully.", "Error", MB_OK);	lpdsb->Release();	lpds->Release();	DestroyWindow(hwnd);	return 0;}

The code aways ends with the error DSERR_INVALIDCALL returned from CreateSoundBuffer(). And the debug output only displays what I shown in the previous post.

I'll take a look when I get home. One thing you could try - set the format tag of WAVEFORMATEX to WAVE_FORMAT_PCM. ISTR that's all DirectSound supports.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
set the format tag of WAVEFORMATEX to WAVE_FORMAT_PCM. ISTR that's all DirectSound supports.

nope.

tag can be WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE nowadays.
(neway this is not very important for him..ya ya i know )

by the way,
theres no code that for loading the WAV data.

theres just a "calling" function for load the wav.
"LoadWavFile("w1.wav", &dsbd, &wfmt);"
this function work fine?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement